Hmmmmmm... 80's!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmmmmm... 80's!!!

OK, I know a lot of people cringe when you mention the word 'Kramer', but I've always kind of liked them (been thinking about getting one of them Jersey Star re-issues).

Anyway, I couldn't help but drool over this nice, nostalgic collection:

http://www.vintagekramer.com/sambora.htm
    sigpic
    And on the 8th day,
    God kicked back with a beer,
    And gave that Jackson one helluva beating!

I prefer this signature model http://www.vintagekramer.com/night.htm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTs4p6t7jMI

Comment

If they reissued the nightswan that would be awesome.

Comment

Interesting, I never knew the RS Kramers came in so many colors originally. The only ones I've actually seen are white, black, and red. That website mentions several others including some flip flop colors. I agree with Ralph E. though, the Nightswan was probably the best looking Kramer I can think of.
        Ironically I've never owned a single Kramer. A band mate of mine back in the 80's had a one Hum Baretta in plain black. It played and sounded good I thought, not Jackson good but good

Rudy
        www.wickedrocks.com
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

I had a USA Kramer back in the early mid 80's, mine was a POS in my opinion had it for about a year and then traded it. I've heard some played great to bad mine didn't. My advice is play it before you buy it if possible.

Comment

i love mine. i wish it wasn't a single hum, but it plays and sounds fabulous.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

vivian is a great player, but whats the deal with Kramer? I haven't ever had the chance to play one. Are they just really cheaply made?

Comment

they went bust by 89

i never got why they changed everything all the time every year all the headstocks and stuff would change they never seemed to settle on anythning....

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
                  they went bust by 89

i never got why they changed everything all the time every year all the headstocks and stuff would change they never seemed to settle on anythning....
                  Pretty simple really. Kramer didn't really build anything in house and they had problems meeting demand with suppliers. When the hockeystick headstock guitars came out and got popular with EVH, they had 2 suppliers making the necks, Sports and 1 in Canada. They had problems with suppliers and keeping up with demand so they started outsourcing more to ESP in Japan. The Focus series guitars were already being made by ESP in Japan. Beginning in 1986, all the USA guitars that were labeled American, were made out of ESP parts, bodies and necks. The only thing USA on them were the Duncan pickups. By 1989 or so, people started figuring out that these high dollars guitars labeled American were really Japanese guitars, basically the identical guitar to a Focus but with a Duncan pickup. Eddie had been duped too. After people figured that out, they quit buying them. Kramer quit paying their endorsers and suppliers and quickly went bankrupt. They went from the biggest selling electric guitar company to bankruptcy in 2 years. How would you like it if your Made in USA headstocked Jackson was really made in Korea? You'd be pissed and quit buying. That's what happened.
                  Last edited by guitarzan2; 04-08-2007, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph E. View Post
                    If they reissued the nightswan that would be awesome.
                    +1000000!

A nightswan reissue would be mint! (pardon the 80s expression!)

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzan2 View Post
                      Pretty simple really. Kramer didn't really build anything in house and they had problems meeting demand with suppliers. When the hockeystick headstock guitars came out and got popular with EVH, they had 2 suppliers making the necks, Sports and 1 in Canada. They had problems with suppliers and keeping up with demand so they started outsourcing more to ESP in Japan. The Focus series guitars were already being made by ESP in Japan. Beginning in 1986, all the USA guitars that were labeled American, were made out of ESP parts, bodies and necks. The only thing USA on them were the Duncan pickups. By 1989 or so, people started figuring out that these high dollars guitars labeled American were really Japanese guitars, basically the identical guitar to a Focus but with a Duncan pickup. Eddie had been duped too. After people figured that out, they quit buying them. Kramer quit paying their endorsers and suppliers and quickly went bankrupt. They went from the biggest selling electric guitar company to bankruptcy in 2 years. How would you like it if your Made in USA headstocked Jackson was really made in Korea? You'd be pissed and quit buying. That's what happened.
                      Kind of the "Enron" of the guitar industry that ended the 80's era.

I think La Si Do was the Canadian company making necks for Kramer, which is now known as Godin.
                      Last edited by Jackson-Charvel; 04-10-2007, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Kramer is now owned by Gibson and they are actually producing some of their American Series guitars entirely in the USA. I own a Jersey Star as well, as two of the original Samboras. Personally, I really like how versitile they are and the middle pickup doesn't bother me at all. It's actually the only guitar I own that I actually use the middle pickup.

Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Originally posted by krimson View Post
                          Kramer is now owned by Gibson and they are actually producing some of their American Series guitars entirely in the USA. I own a Jersey Star as well, as two of the original Samboras. Personally, I really like how versitile they are and the middle pickup doesn't bother me at all. It's actually the only guitar I own that I actually use the middle pickup.

*Prepares to have rocks thrown him*

I actually like the new Kramers. I have three of them and they all sounds pretty good. It's kind of hard to go wrong with Alder though. The pickups aren't bad, i want to change them out on one of them and see if it would make a big difference. Plus I haven't had any sharp spots, or any obvious QC issues as of yet on any of them. They are obviously not 2000dollar guitars, and I think were meant to be just as much to compete with ESP as the RR24 is now. Though I think Jackson will (obviously) have a better go of it.
                          In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

The 85' Reissue Baretta while being a totally usa made guitar, it isnt being produced by gibson. It's being made by Hill Guitars. Looks like their traveling down the same road again. There was talk about the Nightswan being reissued also but i doubt we'll see it happen.

But on the good side of things Dennis Kline may be painting guitars for Kramer again.

Originally posted by guitarzan2 View Post

Comment

I own 30 something kramers.. The early ones are Killer and where built here in the US of NJ. Once they got to pointy necks, they are not as consistent. I Think each over seas made Kramer models have a better made version in Charvel. The Arch top stagemasters, the Liberty the Proax. Stick with Beak necks and Nana headstocks and your guaranteed a great guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X