New ESP Eclipse II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ESP Eclipse II

So I had tried these guitars a couple months ago when I heard that Sam Ash was blowing them out to make room for the 07' models ($999 for Duncan equiped, $1399 for EMG equiped). I spent about an hour in store trying them out and liked what I felt, but wasn't ready to buy. Besides that, my local Sam Ash still had the Duncan equiped marked at $1399 and the EMG at $1499. Anyways, I got a 20% everything in the store card in the mail so I figured it was time to make my move. When I told the store manager I was going to pay $800 for the guitar he looked at me like I had a screw loose. Lo and behold, after checking the price in the computer, I now have a real ESP for the same price as a 1000 series made in Korea LTD. I certainly can't complain...

This is my first LP style guitar and I'm quite happy. It has pretty much all of the features I would want (Mahog w/ maple top, short scale, fixed bridge, locking tuners, and a dark rosewood board). What sold me on the guitar was probably the satin finish, especially on the neck. Its feels very smooth, almost like a raw wood finish. In terms of build quality I would give ESP pretty high marks. Setup for low action was quick and easy. There is some slight raised spots on the paint and the inlays are quite blah. The top isn't book-matched but still looks pretty good with the honeyburst finish. The finish around the body binding isn't perfect, but that's really getting into minor details. There are also some small pin hole sized dings from sitting so long at the store (along with a filthy fret-board and some dust). At least it was high on the wall so no one could just grab it off the wall.

Overall, I'd have to say that ESP did a good job. Its a slightly modern take on the Les Paul, more oriented for metal playing. The neck is medium to slightly on the thinner side and feels perfect in my (smaller sized) hands. It isn't quite as thick as a real LP, but the tone is still great when I plug straight into my amp. I know ESP gets bashed around a lot here, but this guitar fits into a territory that I can't get to with Jackson at the moment (I've been dreaming about a custom, but now that is at least 20% farther away...)

Ya know, I was almost going to get one of those ESP Eclipse IIs in Vintage Black scheme, back when they had four control knobs... I think they're gorgeous and they supposedly feel like playing a superstrat. Congrats and great deal! What model Duncans are in it?

Comment

I have the custom shop version and absolutely love it too bro..nice guitar!

Comment

Nice score! Congrats.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

What are the inlays made of?

Comment

The pickups are 59(N) and JB(B). The inlays are supposedly pearl, with a lot of variation in between in each one (from crappy to OK).

Toe, I guess I'll be able to stop drooling over your MM for the moment...

Comment

Originally posted by iced_earth View Post
              Toe, I guess I'll be able to stop drooling over your MM for the moment...

Is that you who got it all wet? :ROTF:
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Looks great, and sounds like a steal for that price. Congrats.

Comment

These things are a serious bargain considering the construction quality and parts the guitars have on them. Oh... I sell these if anyone's interested!
                  Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post

Is that you who got it all wet? :ROTF:
                    Yup, that was me. I still really like what Jackson did with the MM line. If I ever see one hanging in store I'm definitely going to give it a test drive. I'll have to wear a bib though .

Comment

That´s nice, I´d like to have one in vintage black with zebra Duncans.
                      A regular Les Paul is to thick and heavy for me, I prefer comfort.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with a nice ESP (as long as it's not a "Metallica model") -- Jackson doesn't have anything like this, so it's allowed!

Sweet axe - I've looked at those a number of times myself, as the Gibby's I've messed with lately have been pretty craptacular. The ESP's have better necks, and better fit & finish - especially when you consider the prices Gibby's are going for these days.

Comment

Congrats, that looks really nice. And +1 to what people are saying about the ESPs. I'm GASing for a LP and have played many recently, all different types. For example, on Monday I ran down to Sam Ash on my lunch and played a '79 Custom, a Standard, a Classic, even a '57 reissue, plus other random ones, then I picked up an EC-1000 and I liked it soooo much better. It's thinner, lighter, neck feels much better (for my smaller hands), and upper-fret access is way better. And this wasn't a one-time thing. I did the same thing a couple weeks ago at the same store and also I was at a local shop playing a new ($3000) Custom and it was nice but the guy hands me an Eclipse II ($1399) and, once again, it played so much better. JMO of course.
                          Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Originally posted by kruneh View Post
                            That´s nice, I´d like to have one in vintage black with zebra Duncans.
                            A regular Les Paul is to thick and heavy for me, I prefer comfort.
                            Yeah, these are definitely thinner and lighter than regular Les Pauls. I think Europe still gets the Eclipse I series with the more Les Paul looking cutout and 4 knobs... there's a black satin finish version with white binding that looks awesome .

Comment

Working...
                            X