Hamer USA Daytona...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamer USA Daytona...

This is a 1996 Hamer USA Daytona. I've owned it since 1998. For a Strat-style guitar, this thing is the bomb and I only paid $600 for it, which I feel is an absolute steal. For those who don't know, this guitar is basically a Strat with all of the modern improvements that are better IMO. Here are the specs:

-Ash body
    -Maple neck & fretboard
    -Sperzel locking tuners (staggered, so no string tree to mess with)
    -Medium jumbo frets
    -14.5" radius (probably my favorite feature)
    -Wilkinson vintage trem (truly an awesome trem)
    -Lubritrak nut
    -fully shielded

It originally came with 3 SD Alinco II SC pickups, standard 5-way switch, and a mint green pickguard with 3 holes for vol/tone/tone.

I converted it to have a master volume and master tone. I also replaced the bridge pickup with a SD Lil' Screamin' Demon. Further, I replaced the standard 5-way with a 5-way Superswitch. I also had a custom pickguard made, which eliminated the top knob hole......I love that because the normal Strat volume knob gets in my way.

My pickup selections are...

1) Bridge HB
    2) Bridge HB (south coil only) + middle pickup
    3) Bridge HB + Neck SC
    4) Middle SC + Neck SC
    5) Neck SC

All combinations are wired in parallel. Positions 1, 2, & 4 are humbucking. I have a couple guitars with a bridge HB and neck single coil pickup with a 3-way switch. I've always loved the middle position on those guitars.....and I have that option in this guitar. This is an extremely versatile guitar that does pretty much exactly what I want.

That's probably way more than you wanted to know(!!!), but I just finished all of the mods recently and I am totally stoked with this guitar.

Here's a pic:

Last edited by Chad; 01-12-2007, 12:00 AM.

I remember those, I bought the Tele that year. Great series!
    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Excellent guitar, man. I love Hamers. I own 6 of them right now and have had 4 others in the past. They are amazing guitars and built like tanks. I've always wanted a Daytona but for some reason have never got around to buying one. My goal is to have a Hamer from every year they've been built. Starting in 1977, that leaves me how many more to buy....????

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
        I remember those, I bought the Tele that year. Great series!
        I've never tried the Tele version....can't remember the name. Something like T51?

I'm surprised these are/weren't more popular. Super bargain. I'd put this up against any boutique Strat any day.....Suhr, Anderson, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 1trussell View Post
          Excellent guitar, man. I love Hamers. I own 6 of them right now and have had 4 others in the past. They are amazing guitars and built like tanks. I've always wanted a Daytona but for some reason have never got around to buying one. My goal is to have a Hamer from every year they've been built. Starting in 1977, that leaves me how many more to buy....????
          I love'em too man. I've also got one of their limited edition Vectors from 1997. Used to have a 1996 Standard Custom, but sold it. Still kicking myself for not buying a very early Standard at a guitar show back in the mid to late 90's.

Comment

I was so close to buying one of the 97 Vectors last year. It was 69 of 72, but the price wasn't right, and the owner of the store was an asshole. Right now I've got a 78 Sunburst, an 83 Vector, a 94 Mirage I, a 95 Special FM, 97 Mahogany Standard and an 01 Artist Korina. I've also had an 86 Chaparral, 88 Californian, 93 Special, and a 95 Diablo. Those guitars are what Gibson wishes they could make. If you ever decide to get rid of that Daytona, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
              I've never tried the Tele version....can't remember the name. Something like T51?

I'm surprised these are/weren't more popular. Super bargain. I'd put this up against any boutique Strat any day.....Suhr, Anderson, etc.
              Yup, T51. I had a butterscotch one. Played great! I think I paid 600 for it in 96' or so. High quality axe!
              Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

What do the 97 Vectors sell for normally? I've checked Ebay from time to time, but haven't come up with much.

Comment

I've seen them go for anywhere between $1800 and $2200. There was a nice 97 that was on the Hamer board for sale at $1850 a while ago. But I don't think that one ever sold. The guy who owned the store wanted $3000 for #69. And this was right after I was quoted $1800 for a brand new Korina Vector (before the year end price hike). He had a Vector, Futura and Jr, all from the 97 Korina run, that a collector had traded in. Funny thing was, I knew more about those guitars then he did. He was just a dick, though. I walked in one day when the owner was there and asked "what about that Korina Vector on the wall?" He looked at me and said, "That's not a toy, that's a collector's piece."

Comment

Working...
                  X