Need Some Help on High End Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Help on High End Guitars

I figured the people here would know a lot about nice highend guitars, so here I go I'm thinking of saving up for a really high end guitar (for me anyway). $1200+ high end, maxing at about $1700. Now what guitars in that range can get me the most for the money, are well built, are made in the USA (for Jackson, Fender, Gibson, and G&L) or Japan (Ibanez, and ESP), and finally one that would truely be worth the money I would spend on it and would last forever. I'm thinking of the following now (this could change as it will take a little while to save up that kind of money but i want my facts in order well in advance): Fender SRV Strat, Kramer Beretta Reissue, Jackson RR5, Gibson Explorer, Gibson SG GT, Parker Nitefly, G&L Comanche, Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, Music Man Axis, or an ESP Viper. does Jackson/Charvel make any guitars in this range that are USA (as I know the Rhoads isnt)? Any other guitars I should consider?

You managed to list about every option there is on guitars, 3 single coils, 2 hums, 1 hum, 25.5" scale, 24.75" scale, strat body, LP body, V body, explorer body, SG body, floyd, v-trem, tunamatic, 9" radius, 12" radius, thick neck, thin nec, etc.

You can get USA Jacksons and USA Charvels in your range of $1200-$1700, either new or near-mint used via JCF & ebay. From your list, I have Baretta, RR1T, Parker Fly Deluxe, G&L Climax, several gibson LPs, Axis...and while I like them all, over all those, I would take my strat bodied, floyd'd 2 hum (or 1SC/1Hum) Charvels/Jacksons as being the most 'comfortable and pleasing and versitile' to play.

Each person has their favorite body shape or pickup layout or neck shape. Suggest you hone in on your what your favorites would be in those catagories and start searching and checking prices.

Comment

For the low end of your range, if you like the 1 5/8 necks. I think the Music Man Axis is hard to beat. Excellent quality, super bad ass neck, and some very nice pickups.
      Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

I'll add to what has already been well said. I would narrow it down and if possible play as many as you can to get the feel for them. Don't worry about action, tone etc. Just play what you like. I've been playing 42 years now and I can checkout a guitar by it's specs. I'm an engineer, so I think that comes easy. All my Jackson's and Charvel's were purchased this way. Sight unseen, except for just pictures. The first time I played one, it came delivered Fedex. After purchasing 5 in less than 2 years, I have been very happy with USA J/C's. Many of those guitars are in your range.
        What guitars do you own now? Makes, Shapes, pickups, wood? Maybe that might key you in a direction.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Suhr Pro Series
          ESP M-II
          Ibanez RGA321F
          Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded

All can be had for $1,700 or less new.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Right now, my highest end one is my Jackson DK2T, which I love the feel of. I think most know the specs on that one It sounds awesome, and is great for down tunings.

My next guitar is my modified Charvel CX391, which I use mainly for metal. I also like the neck on it, but not quite As much as my Jackson because its rather small and I have big hands. Sound wise I prefer it over my Jackson, as it uses EMG81s, and I play a lot of stuff with my amp and its gain cranked, so they sound nice. The downside to the Charvel is the floyd is really quirky, so I cant deviate from standard tuning at all.

Next is my OLP MM1. It has a decent feel to it, not bad, but not world class. Its mainly a backup and doesnt see much use, but I really liek the looks and sound of it. Its nice and light too, with a basswood body. Plus the vintage trem looks really classy. And being a huge Van Halen fan, I just love the looks. Plus it balances really well and is super comfortable to play.

In a couple days I'm gonna buy a Squier Tele with some giftcards to the local shop (I'm kinda stuck buying it as my mom had told the people who got the cards I really wanted it, hence them getting the cards, and I don't want to hurt anyones feelings ) I love the sound of the single coil, despite the hum. Likewise its a really comfortable guitar to play as well.

My preferences in pickups are humbuckers, my main choices being Seymour Duncans and DiMarzios. I also like 24 fret necks with binding. Like wise I like guitars that aren't overly heavy, due to having some endurance issues when standing with one due to back problems from something else.

Comment

Get a used PRS.

Comment

+1

But maybe get one that's already a bit banged up, then you won't be afraid to play it haha.

Comment

Used USA Wolfgangs and 80s San Dimas Charvels would both be a good bet.

Comment

Get used Jackson USA Select.

Comment

Or a new USA Select - they do come up for 1700 or less. Ditto on the MM Axis though. They're great guitars, but obviously, they're only 22 frets and have no neck binding.

Ultimately, it's a decent amount of money to spend, so get out there and try as many as possible. Even if you don't buy one that you've played, at least you'll be 'on-line shopping' from a position of knowledge....
                      Popular is not the same as good
                      Rare is not the same as valuable
                      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by ambitotpuphang View Post
                        Get used Jackson USA Select.
                        +1 You can get one in excellent to mint condition if you shop well. A Soloist would be by first choice, a SL1 or SL2.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I would also vote for a Jackson USA select, used or new. For the price range your looking at IMO they are the best bang for your buck. There also always seems to be used SL1 and Sl2's popping up on Ebay.

Havent come across a Ibanez or ESP in that range that I felt compared, also their not made in the USA.

Although if you happen to come across a USA made B.C. Rich they can give the Jackson USA selects a run for their money and then some. (well atleast the 2 I have do)

Comment

Why an RR5? Bucketass is selling a RR1T on ebay. Contact him, I am sure he'd hook you up.
                            Scott
                            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

get a used prs, hamer or ernieball.
                              all good bargains on the used market.

Comment

Working...
                              X