Washburn RR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washburn RR

Many many years ago, when Kerry King and Scott Ian had hair, and indeed, I too was not a total slaphead, I wanted a Jackson RR sooooooo badly it hurt. Alas, those were the days when Jackson guitars were strictly the fare of "Rock stars and oil sheikhs" (as the Allbang & Strummit ad read in Guitarist magazine), but I do remember seeing a few Washburn RR2Vs about, even knew a chap who had one, and to my youthful mind, it was a really fantastic guitar.

Now, I'm a lot older, a lot balder and a tiny bit wiser, and want to know if anyone has/had one of these guitars, and were they any good, or was it just me cumming in my pants because it was a spikey guitar with sharkfin oops, sorry "snowdrift" inlays, and the fact I was little Heavy Metal Hero?

I have a feeling that like many of my sepia-tinted memories, the truth is completely different to how I remember it, but confirmation/rebuttal would be nice.
    Didn't it have a "motherbucker" on it - dunno if that's any good, but it's the best name for a pickup EVER!!

Memories, pics, if you please chaps.
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

I've still got a Washburn catalog from the '80s with that model (RR40) and the Ace Frehley AF40 model. Both had ash bodies with Canadian rock maple necks, polished Carbonite fingerboards and the Washburn Wonderbar trem system. The AF model had a single high output humbucker with a coil tap, and the RR model had the super-high output triple coil pickup that did look like a motherbucker, with three on/off switches for its coils. I so wish I could find one of those, too!
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The only thing i'm sure about this one is the trem, and it's a Wonderbar.

Comment

That's definitely not the same model. That seems to have a bolt-on neck and is probably an import. Never saw that one before. The RR40 was neck-thru, 24 frets, and had sharkfin inlays.

Comment

This one is reported as RR2V on the google search.

Comment

That's the baby Toejam! I think the RR2V was, like you say, the bolt on. I seem to recall a lot of them had graphics too, nothing spectacular, pinstripes/rising sun type of thing.

I hope someone can come here and tell me they are shite, because I really want one now, and don't want to go on a quest and find out I shouldn't have bothered!
            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

There was the RR2V, RR11V and RR12V and the RR40V. All of them were bolt ons. The RR2V had dot inlay with a basic color, the 11, and 12 had S/S/H with graphics, and sharkfin inlay, and the RR40V has already been discussed with its triple coil pickup. They all had Wonderbars.................

Comment

Gentleman:- http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...px?id=77770111

Grainy, horrible pic. It's cool that you guys brought this up, I'd been wondering what in the hell that was.

Comment

Originally posted by Accept2 View Post
                  There was the RR2V, RR11V and RR12V and the RR40V. All of them were bolt ons. The RR2V had dot inlay with a basic color, the 11, and 12 had S/S/H with graphics, and sharkfin inlay, and the RR40V has already been discussed with its triple coil pickup. They all had Wonderbars.................
                  Ah, I thought the RR40 was neck-thru for some reason.

Comment

The RR40 was in a line with the G40, and the AF40. I have seen 2 setneck G40s from 1985 that looked different from the G40s that were marketed with the RR40 and AF40, so it is possible that RR40s were made setneck before that time. RR40s and G40s dont exactly show up alot..........

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed View Post
                      Gentleman:- http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...px?id=77770111

Grainy, horrible pic. It's cool that you guys brought this up, I'd been wondering what in the hell that was.
                      RR2V like the advert said...
                      The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

I had a strat that was a bolt on with a wonderbar on it. It had the sharkies and all the trim... It was ok. Nothing great. I bought it because it looked like a Jackson. It did not play anything like onw though. If you found one you would most likely feel all your energy was a waste of time. I would not pay to much for one. Your post was very humorous though and I enjoyed the read. lol.

Comment

Working...
                        X