Gibson Flying V Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Flying V Fans

A buddy of mine dropped his old Gibson Flying V by for me to set up for him. He was asking questions about it that I couldn't answer. He seems to think that it's very valuable but I really have no idea. It's your standard looking V with a tobacco burst top and cream pick guard. The serial # is 400071 and is stamped made in USA. I could take pics if it helps. I have no idea what year it is but it's very light. Any ideas on this?
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Well, what questions was he asking?
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Like the year it was made, value, is it a low end or high end model. I know nothing about Gibson guitars except the quality kind of sucks. However, this one is not too bad. I only have one (Explorer Pro) and and bought it because that particular model was being discontinued.
      "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
      I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

400071 if accurate, could be 1965

but ser#s were so random then....

Edit: "Made In USA" started (on back of headstock) in 1970 consistently

so that ser# is probably from 1974 or 1975
        Last edited by RacerX; 10-28-2006, 05:27 PM. Reason: found more info

Comment

It's accurate. It's stamped into the back of the headstock. What do you think? I know I'm giving you limited info. Is this potentially valuable? The tuners look original. They are the old style and they are embossed Gibson Deluxe. There's not much else that would identify it.

Comment

Post a pic. I don't claim to be a Gibson expert, maybe somebody else can ID & value it better.

Comment

Well I plugged it into my Bogner and I this overwhelming urge to play Big City Nights. It sounds okay but I'll stick my J/C's for now. I'll work on a pic.

Comment

Pics would be cool. I've played Gibson V's before and while there good I much prefer Jacksons, Charvels and ESP guitars.

Comment

Damn, a pickguarded tobacco burst V is my favorite.....
                  When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

After looking around the net for a while, I've come to the conclusion that this guitar is probably worth about $800-$1000 depending on the buyer.

Comment

I'd guess a reissue of some sort.1975 ish.The made in the USA stamp started in the 70s.Good question.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                        400071 if accurate, could be 1965

but ser#s were so random then....

Edit: "Made In USA" started (on back of headstock) in 1970 consistently

so that ser# is probably from 1974 or 1975

You nailed it. Yes, it is a mid-70's. V's appeared throughout the years starting again in 1967 (after the original '58 run) and dropped again in 1969. Then showed up again in the Medallion series in 1972 of which there were 500 of those built. Then reissued again in 1974 to '77 which this one sounds like it falls into with the MADE IN USA stamp (the cream, NOT WHITE pickguard is also a giveaway here). Norlin started that.
                        They didn't appear again until 1980 with the V2 run. I could go on and on, but that should help answer the question.

Comment

Its a early 70's for sure. That serial number isn't anything from the past 30 years.

Comment

Working...
                          X