Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Strat 59-61 body with a 57 neck

Yay,

I have bought a 59-61 strat body with a 57 soft v profile neck.. I understood that these parts were used together in the past thousand years. However, after I ordered some reissue parts to fit to it, I encountered a few problems..
    1. The neck and body can be connected together but there are empty spaces between the edge of the neck to the body and the upper part of the neck to the body.. which looks a bit wierd to my eyes.
    2.I ordered a 62 reissue bridge and a 62 reissue input jack plate..
    The bridge I could fit in easily, but the claw did not fit in its place at all, because the screws on this claw are too far from each other then the holes on the body.. Also the input jack does not fit because the screw holes on the body are closer to each other then on the reissue jack plate.. I find these things a bit wierd to happen.. but I was wondering if anyone has had these problems in the past? (this body seems real and not a fake in any way at all)
    The neck would be hard to play since the low E string keeps going off the fretboard when you play on it... sux?

Anyhow I find these problems wierd, or perhaps the 62 parts and the 59 parts are different? and perhaps the 57 neck would fit a 57 neck pocket and not a 59?

Would appriciate any help you guys can gimme regarding those issues..
    In the meanwhile I am still waiting on some other parts so that I can complete this guitar and see if I can get it to play at all.

Anytime you deal with old parts mixed with new parts you're going to have problems fitting things together. You best bet is to dowel up the holes and redrill.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

If you are talking about the input jack plate, I wouldn't wanna change anything in the body for it, because the body is in original condition without any changes done to it.. and about the neck, the neck is an original 57. I guess its just not wide enough for the neck pocket that is on this body. I mean, it fits tight and holds firm, but still there are gaps between it and the body.

Comment

What I'm saying is that the neck is not properly aligned because it was drilled to fit on a different body. If you plug the neck, fit it properly and then drill, it should align correctly.
        Blank yo!

Comment

I would personally just live with the little gaps. I wouldn't route or drill or plug anything. Maybe put a wooden coffee stirrer in the gap if you want the wood to wood (to wood) contact, but that's absolutely it. Did you get original pickups as well? Got pics?
          Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Well basiclly, I got the neck and body off ebay, and I have some other old parts that I traded with someone that fits on this guitar. The guitar is not complete yet because I am still missing a few things. As for the pickup question, I traded some old fender amp I found on the flea market with a friend, and he gave me an old pickguard that he had lyin around, the pickguard should fit a 59-61 body, but it shrunk with age and would take alot of effort to fit, also he gave me an original neck pickup which he took from a lefty 66 strat, but the pickup is alot older because its a black bottom without any date on it, and its original. The bridge is a reissue 62, and also the neckplate is ri62, I also ordered new pots and 5 way switch for it. I will see if I can get some pics uploaded somehow..
            But the only thing freaking me out is the way the neck sits on the body got damnit! :/

Comment

Also the 6th E string is too close to the edge of the neck, so the only way to make it work without it going off the fretboard everytime you touch it, is to replace the nut with one that the strings will have less space between them.
              I don't know if its worth the effort of doing all this, maby I should just sell it.

Comment

Ok here are links to the pics that show the problem:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSCN2936.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSCN2933.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSCN2938.jpg

Comment

The heel of the neck should butt up to the bottom of the pocket, so again, the neck needs to be plugged and redrilled. Otherwise the guitar will not intonate correctly. There is nothing you can do other than to plug the existing holes, re-align the neck and redrill.
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Boy, those parts have seen better days Grandturk is correct, better to dowel the screw holes in the neck and redrill to match the body. Then you can adjust for neck alignment in relation to the body. A good way to check this, is to use a padded (wood, plastic) woodworkers clamp to hold the neck and body together. String the guitar with both E strings and look for alignment from the bridge to the nut. Note the spacing of the outside strings to the edge of the fretboard. You can make adjustments at the bridge first. If the neck and body look pretty good as far as alignment, you can go ahead and drill the neck for the mounting screws. To mark your mounting screws, use a drill bit the diameter of the holes in the body, then use a 1/8" drill bit to drill the holes in the neck. Make sure to use a piece of masking tape on the drill bit to mark and control your depth.
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                      The heel of the neck should butt up to the bottom of the pocket, so again, the neck needs to be plugged and redrilled. Otherwise the guitar will not intonate correctly. There is nothing you can do other than to plug the existing holes, re-align the neck and redrill.
                      You need to determine if the empty space leaves the frets in the right place first. You can't just move them all forward (towards the bridge) and assume there'll be enough play in the bridge saddles to move them back to counter the neck movement. It might be safe, but it might also mean moving the bridge. At that point (new holes in the neck, moved bridge), it's just a bunch of old pieces of guitar that have been shoved together.

That said, I think you might just be better off with a '62 reissue. I'm all for old guitars, but that one is a bit of a mess.
                      Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Originally posted by jim777 View Post
                        You need to determine if the empty space leaves the frets in the right place first. You can't just move them all forward (towards the bridge) and assume there'll be enough play in the bridge saddles to move them back to counter the neck movement. It might be safe, but it might also mean moving the bridge. At that point (new holes in the neck, moved bridge), it's just a bunch of old pieces of guitar that have been shoved together.

That said, I think you might just be better off with a '62 reissue. I'm all for old guitars, but that one is a bit of a mess.
                        Well said, Jim! I always like to suggest getting Dan Erlewines book on Guitar Repair to anyone that doesn't have one. I feel it is necessary to anyone who works on guitars. It is an invaluable reference and covers just about every procedure on repairing and setting up guitars. The DVD's that he has are an extra bonus.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I come back with good news! the guitar dude told me that the neck has been redrilled in the past, so he filld it with maple and redrilled to fit the body the way it should be the best. And I replaced the original nut, although the original nut is ivory and I'm keepin it in my tool box. In the new nut the strings are alot closer to each other, so there goes my string problem, and the intonation now should be no problem, I put all american cts pots on it and real vintage pickups.. the result is AMAZING!! This guitar has so much VIBE to it then anything I've heard before.. It sounds alot better then what I expected!

Here's a picture of the complete guitar.. the knobs/pickguard are 'cream' color new, but the pickups are actually real aged pickups, beneath the pickguard level they are white, and above it they are cream from age, so it looks so cool.. and it has so much tone to it!
                          Forgive my crappy pics tho.. I dont have a good camera (or skill)
                          And if you see anything wrong with the decal, the deccal on the headstock is a 68 decal, when that dude who had done the inlays in the 60s did the job, he put a new decal on it.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSCN2972.jpg
                          http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSCN2975.jpg

Comment

Cool, glad it all worked out. Looks nice. Kinda SRV meets Rory Gallagher. Enjoy it.

Comment

Working...
                            X