Ibanez Jem Question. ID help needed!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez Jem Question. ID help needed!!

Just got back from a LMS today that I haven't been to in years. They have a Jem 555 in white for sale. Vine inlays, great shape, the whole nine yards. So I ask how much and the guy says $450. I'm totally freaking because that's a steal for the guitar.

So what's up with it? Well I need to know. Action is a little high but the neck is straight.

So here's my question. I looked at the tremolo unit and it said something to the effect of "Maestro of Music" across the bridge right where the fine tuners are. Is this how Jems are made? I've never seen a Jem up close so I don't know if this is legit or not.

Thanks in advance for you help. If this bad boy is real and authentic, I'm grabbing it tomorrow.

555 was the low end jem. they had a TRS ibanez bridge. i never saw one with that across the bridge. the inlay is half vine and half dots.

something sounds fishy about that jem.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I'm no Jem expert but I do know that the 555 is the least expensive model. The typically bring $300-600 on ebay. I have no idea how they play compared to other Jems. Hope that helps.

Comment

555 is the low end:
        http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-Jem-555-E...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Its called a Jem jr. It will say so on the headstock. Its the lowest end Jem. With that said.. if its in great shape its certainly worth $450.00
          Go get it. They are great players.

Comment

I think it is made in Korea instead of Japan.

Comment

The bridge should probably say Edge Pro II from memory. Might be a fake. The vine go all the way up, or just halfway?

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
                Its called a Jem jr. It will say so on the headstock. Its the lowest end Jem. With that said.. if its in great shape its certainly worth $450.00
                Go get it. They are great players.
                It did say Jem Jr.

I don't remember if the inlay went all the way up. I think it was only halfway.

It seems to me that someone switched the trems.

Now how much would a new trem cost and does this make the Jem Jr. worth the investment? It's felt really light and seems like when properly adjusted, it would be quite a guitar.

Comment

they had TRS trems, which have a wider route, so you could put an OFR in there. a new one would cost between $150-180, depending on color. you could buy a used one or a licensed bridge for less. i always liked the 555, but considering the cost of replacing the bridge, i would try to get them to budge on the price. personally, i would pay 450, but would certainly try to get them lower.

was the pickguard pearloid or solid?
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

The vine should only go half way. The trem is the TRS and its a fine trem. Don't replace it unless its bad. an OFR is a direct sway I believe. It is NOT made in Korea. Its made in Japan along with the other Jems.
                    BTW... white is a nice color for that guitar.

Comment

The vine should only go half way. The trem is the TRS and its a fine trem. Don't replace it unless its bad. an OFR is a direct sway I believe. It is NOT made in Korea. Its made in Japan along with the other Jems.
                      Not true...this IS a Korean guitar. Not a bad piece but nothing special...they are very inconsistant (primarily the necks). If it sets up and intonates well (and holds it), then I would say you could be comfortable buying it, but I am still not a fan of these guitars.

Go to Jemsite.com for more info. These guitars are not well liked by Jem players/collectors, myself included.
                      Last edited by Rupe; 08-30-2006, 09:57 PM.

Comment

TRS? What's that? Why does this one say Maestro of Music?

I think it had the pearl pickguard. I know I remember that the all the back plates are white pearl.

Oh and it had gold hardware.

Comment

Recently a customer of mine brought in a fake white jem from China and it said

"maestro of music" on the trem, It looked very very close to a real Jem, but had Jem 555 traites, and the trem was infact a copy of the TRS LOL, otherwise the guitar was AWFUL

My suggestion Bryan, STAY away from this thing, even at that price, get a nice RG550, or 560 and jemify it and save save save!

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe
                            Not true...this IS a Korean guitar. Not a bad piece but nothing special...they are very inconsistant (primarily the necks). If it sets up and intonates well (and holds it), then I would say you could be comfortable buying it, but I am still not a fan of these guitars.

Go to Jemsite.com for more info. These guitars are not well liked by Jem players/collectors, myself included.
                            Yup, you're right. Korean made, half a vine, Evos.

Whoever said it was a JEM Jr... it's not. They are two different things. Among others, no vines, no Evos, and TRS on the JEM Jr.

555 has Edge Pro II.

Bryan - the giveaway for a lot of the fake JEMs I've seen is mixed up features, ie JEM 555 looks with JEM Jr decals, etc. To be honest, it sounds like a fake. Don't buy it.

Comment

Really... I don't think any Ibanez routes swap out directly for an OFR. Besides, the TRS is one of the lower and less well regarded Ibanez trems. An original Edge on the other hand rivals an OFR.

Damnit, I think I know more about Ibanezes than Jacksons. Oh well, that's why I'm here.

Comment

Working...
                              X