Jackson slsmg and Schecter c-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson slsmg and Schecter c-1

Hey guys I need a string thru axe that plays well and is durable (you know one that is built solid).I narrowed it to these 2 and they are about equal in price used on the bay. Not going for best bang for the buck ,just need opinions on which plays better and is built to take more abuse. The c-1 would probably be the elite. Or possibly hellraiser. Playability is more important and tuning stability. Ok thanks for any help.

I played a hellraiser and JMO it felt lifeless and sounded lifeless.The C-1 was OK nice looking guitar but no acoustical ring to it unplugged.They are afordable and the fretwork is nice.I also tried a LTD M250 and it was way better quality wise on all counts.Much more resonance to the body to me that would sway my choice.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Tough call on that one, they both have their strong points. The main differences are Schecters are set neck and the SLSMG is neck thru. The Schecters are Korean made and I am pretty sure that the SLSMG is Japanese. The pick up offerings vary by model, but the new SLS come with EMG81/85 which is pretty cool. I am currently trying to make the same decision, but have added the DK2M into the choices making it that much harder.

Comment

if you're looking used on ebay, go for a stringthru Carvin.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CARVIN-DC-127-MA...QQcmdZViewItem
        Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

The C1 Classics I've played have looked nice but, not really sounded good. I'd go SLSMG... I've played around 10 of them 2 or 3 didn't have the goods but, the majority did and I HAD to take the best one home!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I have a C-1 Classic - it might just be luck but this one has sustain up the wazoo, and fat tone to die for for LP/PRS enthusiasts. It has a Rio Grande BBQBucker at bridge, that might help some.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat
              I played a hellraiser and JMO it felt lifeless and sounded lifeless.
              +1

The Schecter guitars I have played felt "plastic". They had a strange feel to them. No life at all...I didnt care for them. The Schecter basses I've played were quite nice though. That Carvin looks good for the $$. They make nice stuff.
              >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

No contest dude, the slsmg is that much better all round. I wish my C7 Hellraiser had the quality of my slsmg, but its the closest thing to a slsmg7 out there. The materials and finish just rock the shit out of esp's (proper jap ones) on my red flametop slsmg and it sounds awesome. Second only to the usa sls I played recently, and I'd still prefer my jap one over it for the string-thru/24 fret/shape thing.

Comment

i would go the carvin route myself.
                  the schecters' quality, especially fretwork is mediocre at best.
                  the slsmg is a guitar that looked good on paper, but really disappointed.
                  on the slsmg i had, the pickups sounded bad, the body thickness/pickup height/string angle and tension was an awkward combo, making the guitar difficult to play imo.

Comment

really? I personally find it no problem at all, its the neck that matters most and it pretty much plays itself. The body is a normal thickness in the middle and tapers off at the ends.

Comment

Try a Schecter C1+, i got one with Super 2 at bridge and Air Classic in the neck, it sounded really heavy.The guitar screams more than the c1 30th anniversary.

Comment

Go with the hellraiser and get the EMGS and tone pros bridge, I personally didn't like the SLS when I played one. I do have a schecter C+1 and love it, but I changed the pups. Another one to look at is the Washburn X50. You can get that one with EMGS or Seymour Duncans.

Comment

Alright, the Carvin I posted went for $399. Ridiculous. You can't get a much better deal.
                          Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Be careful with Shecter. There pickup choices are rather weird. A $500 guitar has real seymour duncans yet a $700 has Duncan designed pups? wtf. I never was a huge Schecter fan, though I really want a P51 badly.

EDIT: Oh yeah buy the jackson
                            Last edited by CharvelRocker; 12-01-2006, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Between the SLSMG and any Korean Schecter, I'd go for the SLSMG without hesitation. I've owned a number of Schecters--mostly 7-strings--but I think the SLSMG just plain sounds and plays better. Just my opinion, though. If you get a used SLSMG, ditch the passive EMGs and put decent pickups in. The new ones have active EMGs, which is cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X