My new Carvin arrives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Carvin arrives

This one was custom ordered from the shop.

Pics first:

So, what's special about this guitar? It's a stock DC127M (M for string through tuneomatic bridge). But it has a Swamp Ash body, it's very light too. The neck has a 14" compound radius, stainless steel jumbo frets, tung oil finish on the back of the maple neck. Black chrome hardware. And that's it.

What's good about this guitar: the craftsmanship. The fretwork is the best I've seen on one of my guitars. It beats my Les Paul 57 Historic, my Slatqh, etc. The neck plays fast, almost a Soloist neck, just a tad fatter. Maybe similar to a PC1. I inspected the guitar and was very impressed until...

What's not so hot about this guitar: I noticed the action was a bit higher than I like, and I really can play and like playing with higher action than most. But the neck was set pretty straight into the body, no incline backward, as with my Jackson and Gibson. This makes for a really good sounding guitar (because of the Swamp Ash body) but the very high frets (20-24) are almost impossible for me to play. Have to talk to my luthier to see if he can think of a way through this. It's a neckthrough, so, I may be out of luck. There's still a little room under the bridge. I'll see what he says.

Only other bad thing: the humbuckers. I was warned they would be bright, but I never expected this.

And yes, that's a seafoam green paintjob. What the hell. I never pay attention to that stuff anyway. It was that or black.
    Last edited by danastas; 06-09-2006, 08:53 PM.

seafoam is nice!!!! i like that guitar. very simple and elegant!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Very nice!!!!
      Yes, Carvin's C22 pups can be a little bright, especially in swamp ash (and a little weak in output for my tastes). My swamp ash SC90 was pretty bright, then I swapped the C22s out for DiMarzios... Super 2 neck (I like bright neck pups anyway, so this works), regular Super Distortion in the bridge. I'm thinking of putting a Super 3 in there because the Super D is also a little bright in the bridge, but not as much as the C22.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Congrats man! I have a carvin, and I love the thing. They blow anythign else in thier price range and then some completely away!

Comment

Originally posted by danastas

There's still a little room under the bridge. I'll see what he says.
          Very nice guitar!

Regarding the high action, are you saying that the bridge is almost as far down to the body as it could go, so lower action isn't attainable? If that's the case, one of 2 things could be done. Either filing down the saddles for lower action or maybe routing under the bridge so the bridge could go more into the body.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

OK, I'm assuming that guitar does NOT have the "rounded body edges" option? Because if that's the case, then it's the first Carvin I can remember seeing in a very long time without the edges...and it looks much better!
            sigpic

Comment

Yep, no roundeds. The salesman kept saying almost everyone chooses the roundeds. I said, that's not for me. No thanks. Why should I pay you $50 for something that I absolutely don't want?

The bridge, to my surprise, already had a groove beneath it. I'll have to ask Carvin if this is stock or did they do this because my neck was set so straight. Anyway, the bridge is now set down to the body (which may improve sustain) and the action is low. So, problem solved. I am definitely keeping this one.

And thanks Toejam for the pickup suggestions.

Comment

Nice! That's definitely the only way I'd want a neck-thru (oiled).
                I saw in the pic that the bridge appeared to be right against the body. I had that exact experience a few years ago with a LP copy. I took the TOM to a machine shop and had the bottom milled off (can't remember how much) and it solved that problem. Sounds like you got it solved though.
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Killer guitar. Good call on the non-rounded edges. I never liked that look either. In fact, if the 7 strings didn't have rounded edges, I probably would have bought one of those instead of hte Ibanez RG1527 I had a while back. Also, I wouldn't doubt if you heard some improvement in sustain by setting the bridge against the body. Joe Walsh talks about the benefits of that on the Carvin DVD.

And don't listen to Joe concerning his Super Distortion, Super 2, 3,

He backed down from the mighty Duncan Distortion/DiMarzio Super D, 2, 3 shootout. You can't trust a man that won't follow through with a challenge like that.

Comment

Sweet, I love the no neck inlay look and the tung oiled back of the neck option..excellent specs and a very nice guitar. Congrats!
                    www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                    My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Originally posted by 1trussell
                      And don't listen to Joe concerning his Super Distortion, Super 2, 3,

He backed down from the mighty Duncan Distortion/DiMarzio Super D, 2, 3 shootout. You can't trust a man that won't follow through with a challenge like that.
                      Hey, I told you to meet me in the parking lot at 3:00. You never showed!

Comment

I thought you said the bike rack. I waited for 2 hours.

Comment

I parked my bike there and then went to the parking lot. I came back a couple hours later and my bike was gone!

Comment

Yeah, that was me.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Nice guitar.

Comment

First NIVRAC I've ever seen.

Congrats!
                              "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                              X