Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westone project question

Hi all,
    I just received a westone Spectrum type body from ebay. I've got some questions about it if there are any experts out there.

-What type of paint is on it? it looks like Polyester like on my old Kramer. It's been sanded some so it will have to be repainted.
    Thats a shame too cause I had an Electra Phoenix since the 80's, same color, the paint on those guitars is awesome. I sold that one like a dummy.

-Will it be OK to paint over it or should I strip it first? Does the paint thickness and type effect tone?

Pics will be forthcomming. You guys are gonna love my idea for the paint scheme. I can't tell you yet cause that would spoil it. lol

Oh, I almost forgot, Do I need a neck where the FB overhangs the body or not?, thanks

bob
    Last edited by shredhed; 06-08-2006, 12:12 AM.

Here's my Spectrum SX. Owned it since new. The fretwork is incredible. I'm pretty sure it's poly (it's actually trans-red). And no over-hang.

The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

You might need to find an actual Westone neck for that. I'm not sure what the neck pocket is like on those, but Matsumoku didn't generally use a standard strat type neck pocket that I can remember. Good luck anyway.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Jackson necks "fit" in the neck pocket of my Aria's, but the bolt holes don't line up. I'd have to find a 22 fret neck if I wanted to try a conversion (I was test fitting with a DK-1 neck - fit snug as a bug in a rug). I like my Aria necks, so I'm sticking with those.

Comment

nice axe! I had an FX. Like a dumbass, I sold it. Wish I could help with the paint but I'm just a player. Just wanted to say, NICE AXE!
          "tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly"

Comment

Originally posted by MadJack
            nice axe! I had an FX. Like a dumbass, I sold it. Wish I could help with the paint but I'm just a player. Just wanted to say, NICE AXE!
            Should I strip it before painting or just paint over the existing paint?

Comment

strip it, primer it...but it'll be a task.

Comment

I had a spectrum ST which I stripped with paint stripper, It was a hell of a job though, the neck on mine had the same scale lenght as a normal fender, 22 frets (I swapped necks several times)
                I recently bought a westone steve lynch signature and the westone's are really great guitars (funny thing which happend on my ST, only when I had completely demolished the guitar did I found out that the volume and tone had a pushpull knob to split the pups)

Comment

Originally posted by fred dons
                  I had a spectrum ST which I stripped with paint stripper, It was a hell of a job though, the neck on mine had the same scale lenght as a normal fender, 22 frets (I swapped necks several times)
                  I recently bought a westone steve lynch signature and the westone's are really great guitars (funny thing which happend on my ST, only when I had completely demolished the guitar did I found out that the volume and tone had a pushpull knob to split the pups)

One was prolly coil tap and the other was a phase reverse maybe.

So you guys think it will sound better having been stripped before painting?

Comment

The tone splits the bridge pickup. The vol splits the neck. It was a cool setup when it came out. The Bendmaster was the best single-locking Floyd ever IMHO.

Comment

Yep, just as I described: http://www.whirligigworld.co.uk/westone/spectrumst.html Coincidentally, my first Westone was an ST.

Comment

Originally posted by fred dons
                        Did you run into any issues as far as heel dimensions or FB overhang. I've been scopin out necks on ebay but I'm leary about those 2 questions?

This 'was' what I had. The kid I sold it to took it apart, spray painted the body and lost some of the parts. Now it lays in pieces -"Oh, the humanity!"
                        http://www.rivercityamps.com/electra/x165.php
                        Last edited by shredhed; 06-16-2006, 07:59 AM.

Comment

I had never any problems with neck dimensions or fretboard overhang there was enough room between the neckpup and the fretboard and even the neck holes alligned with a fender neck

the original paint was quite thick but it did react with paintstripper which most of the modern paints do not.
                          and yes the sound did improve having removed the paint

the electronics where of great quality btw I still use the push puls in another guitars as well as the 3 way switch

Comment

Cool, I remember the paint on my other one being real thick. I'll strip it first.

I found a westone single pup guitar at a local pawn shop. It was pretty trashed and all I wanted was the neck, but I didn't want to pay 135 for it since that's all I wanted it for. I wanted to use a Westone neck but since they're rare I'm thinking about going for this one;
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/Aria-Pro-2-Strat...QQcmdZViewItem.

At least it's a Matsumoku. They made great stuff back then. - bob

Comment

Rare? They pop up all the time down here...most of them are worse for the wear though. I found an FX (neck-through) at a small music store, but it was scratched to buggery.

Comment

Working...
                              X