New Tom Anderson Neck Joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tom Anderson Neck Joint

Check this out. Really cool concept. Looks like this would eliminate some of the large block heel joint making upper fret access better while at the same time maintaining good vibration transfer between neck and body.

Wonder if Jackson could do this at their custom shop?

And here is another good idea from a manufacturer whose name I forgot.
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

That second oen has been done similarly by a few companies.

I think fernandes is one.

Comment

That Anderson idea is cool..the neck shape (where it sits in neck pocket) looks odd at first glance.
      www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
      My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

That Anderson is very cool! It must be rather labor intensive though.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

The Tom Anderson two bolt neck joint is in full production and from what I gather talking to several TA buffs it is supposed to be better than a four bolt pocket joint.
          From what I have been told there is more contact surface between the neck and the body making a snugier fit that will help avoid the neck shift and increase tone transfer.
          Haven't played one so I can't tell.

All I know is that TA has great reputation and he wouldn't put his neck on the line without having some serious research and testing behind it.
          He wouldn't even build the four bolt version anymore!! All they are doing now is two bolts.
          Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

I've played an Anderson with that new neck joint. It feels great. It is super comfortable and feels solid as a rock
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Interesting concept, but I'd be concerned about only 2 neck bolts.

Quite frankly, I think Jackson's angled neck heel is a better approach. Then again, I've never been bothered by neck heels much anyway, though.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon
                I've never been bothered by neck heels much anyway, though.
                me neither.

I kind of think this new TAnderson heel joint is a solution in search of a problem. but that's just me.
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon
                  Interesting concept, but I'd be concerned about only 2 neck bolts.

Quite frankly, I think Jackson's angled neck heel is a better approach. Then again, I've never been bothered by neck heels much anyway, though.
                  By angled neck heel I assume you mean for example the one on a PC1 where it is angled to cut out some of the block on the heel.

I got a custom shop recently with the same wood and neck as the PC1 but full heel - like an old Charvel. Let me tell you the custom shop blows away the PC1 in terms of sustain - and the PC1 has a ton of sustain. So I was very suprised by the custom shop - almost shocked at how much sustain it has. I think it is due largely to the mass as he neck joint resulting in greater tone and resonance transfer and thus sustain.

My point being if you cut wood out of a regular designed bolt on neck heel I think it affects sustain and tone transfer and I think Anderson may have solved the problem. I don't know - I have not played one.

Think about the physics - more contact between the neck and body.

And there is no need for concern on the 2 neck bolts. Check out their website and you will see why. They have a guy hanging from the figgin' neck!
                  And no neck shift! Try that with a regular bolt on.

I think they could be onto something here myself.
                  Last edited by shredmonster; 06-07-2006, 03:09 PM.
                  PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_Steeler
                    The Tom Anderson two bolt neck joint is in full production and from what I gather talking to several TA buffs it is supposed to be better than a four bolt pocket joint.
                    From what I have been told there is more contact surface between the neck and the body making a snugier fit that will help avoid the neck shift and increase tone transfer.
                    Haven't played one so I can't tell.

All I know is that TA has great reputation and he wouldn't put his neck on the line without having some serious research and testing behind it.
                    He wouldn't even build the four bolt version anymore!! All they are doing now is two bolts.
                    Joe,
                    Is that Pun intended, "wouldn't put his neck on the line...":ROTF:
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Just look at how much money they are saving by only using 2 screws.:ROTF: I don't like it. It just looks unstable. I can see the different routing and all the angles. But I thought a butt joint, as in more flat neck to more flat bod would make better resonance. It looks like a gimmick to me. Whack away!!!!:ROTF:
                      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Looks like a very stable setup, but still just a gimmick. Anything to be different I guess.
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I guess if you have to take the neck off, you are more likely to get it lined up exactly right. Even tight four bolt necks have some play. Also, the necks now adjust at the peghead which is really nice. I've tried it and it is interesting. I wouldn't claim any tone improvements. And I'm not selling my old Andersons.

Comment

Bolt on neck joints are always interesting to check out. I think one of the better versions was Brian May's Red Special guitar. The neck is carved as if it's a neck thru with the wood after the fretboard fitting snug in a channel that goes all the way up to about where the middle pickup would have been then is jointed with one bolt. So the carve job at the joint is as smooth as a set neck and it's held in and stable on one bolt, that's just amazing to me! More companies should look at that system.

Oh, and the second pickture was from James Byrd's guitars he hand builds. http://www.jamesbyrd.com/ http://www.byrdguitars.com/
                            I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

The second one looks like it takes a standard neck. The down side to special neck joints like the first is the availablity of replacement necks.

Comment

Working...
                              X