Aria Pro II Custom X (V)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aria Pro II Custom X (V)

It arrived this morning. I was going to take some pics, but the ebay ones were good enough for now. I just finished a thourough inspection, and I'm VERY pleased. This is the elusive NOS guitar everyone dreams of! I have looked all over it for the slightest mark, or evidence that it has been played, and nothing. The frets have no marks on them at all. they are brand new looking, and have obviously never been touched by a string. The fretboard is the same way. It is a very dark rosewood, and has zero play wear. It doesn't have that smooth, rounded, worn-in edge yet, but is crisp and new. There is no pickswirl, no belt worming, no worn-smooth edges on the pickups. The back plates are shiny and 100% scratch free. Even the locking nut string clamps are unused. I looked underneath one, and there are no string marks at all. The real giveaway, is that other than the ancient layer of thick dust, there is no biological build up in or on any of the hardware, or the pickup cavities. I took one of the bridge saddles off, and even underneath, in all the crevices - clean as a whistle. I plan on taking it completely apart, and cleaning the dust and age tarnish off everything. Don't forget, this guitar is 21 years old (assuming I am right about it being a 1985).

How does it play? Well, I tightened the truss rod a smidge, lowered the treble side of the bridge, tuned it, and plugged it in. At first, only the neck pickup worked. I couldn't find a bad connection anywhere, but I switched the toggle a few times, and now it's fine. The pickups are horrible! Atrocious! Vomitous even, and not very quiet either. They sound like the crappy passive EMGs that Washburn used to use. I'll have to put in a Duncan Custom and GFS Crunchy PAF. Of course I'll save the stockers.

The ACT 3 trem is a very odd unit. It is surface mounted, not recessed, and seems to work very smoothly. The odd thing is, the strings are fed in from either the back of the long screws at the back (I would normally call these locking clamp screws, but that doesn't apply in this case), or from the rear of the trem block like on a Strat bridge. Either way, once the strings are on, they are locked in place by the little black clamps on the top of the saddles with an allen screw. The clamps look kinda bulky, and I assumed they would interfere with string muting, but they don't seem to make a difference. In fact, they offer the perfect place to rest the side of my palm while playing.

The neck feels great it's a thin to medium Les Paul type neck. I'm not sure what the body or neck are made from yet, but I think the neck is maple. The body is solid wood, and is quite heavy for it's size. Because of this, it doesn't feel too light like a lot of Vs do. It's got a good weight to it, probably around 7-8 pounds, and balances well. No nosedive at all. I'm completely guessing it's mahogany. When I take the pickups out, maybe I'll be able to tell.

I'm going to get to work tearing this apart, so that I can get some decent pickups in it, and give it a good cleaning. I'll give it a proper set-up, and get some more pics. Too bad about the pickups, they look cool as hell.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Really cool, Paul!

Is the body the same size as a King V?
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
      Really cool, Paul!

Is the body the same size as a King V?
      It's very close indeed. It's a tad longer, but also a bit narrower. It feels as if it might be heavier than my KV1, but not by much.
      Last edited by zeegler; 05-31-2006, 05:26 PM.

Comment

i remember those very well. when i was 14, 15, i used to collect guitar catalogs, and cut the guitars out and tape them on my wall. the aria catalogs got cut up a lot. i liked their shapes and thought they were pretty cool.
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

very groovy. I like the control layout on that too.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Just for shits and giggles, you should try some contact cleaner on the pots, jack and switch, before you switch out the pickups. The noise you're getting could be from 21 years' oxidation, and if you change the pickups without cleaning the electronics, it might still sound like crap. I have done this on many guitars over the years and you might get a pleasant surprise.

Either way, nice score, those Arias play great! Congrats!
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Whoops too late. It's done. It sounds great with the custom in it.

Comment

Damn, that was too fast.

I've never had Aria blade pickups, but I do have some Aria regular humbuckers and they don't sound bad at all. My favorite is around 13.5K (NOTICE - similar to a custom), and is like a Screamin' Demon but with more "scream". My friend who was into Ibanez guitars was always impressed with the tone of my axe. I have a SD trembucker in that axe now, but I might switch back to the Aria pickup.

+1 on contact cleaner and just using the stuff. My last Les Paul I bought was from Hawaii and had sat for a few years. Both tone pots were siezed up, and the output jack was scratchy. I hit both with contact cleaner, and now everything works great without having to break the 1977 solder joints.

One more thing - does the neck profile feel like other Aria's you've tried? To me, they seem to all have the same profile. I'd say it's just a tad thinner than my 2002 LP Std with a 60s neck, but thicker than any of my 1995 and older Jacksons. I'd say it's thinner even than my newer DK2.

Comment

Yeah, I'm quick.

This is just temporary though. I had to use black pickup rings because the stock chrome ones have 2 height adjustment screws on each side. The rings cleaned up really nice by the way. I used Brasso, and all the tarnish came right off. They look new, and the chrome plating looks super thick.

I also want to get some of that cavity sheilding paint, so I'll have to grab some of that, & some contact cleaner.

The neck profile is very similar to my Cardinals (I have an '82 and an '83). They are all a nice soft C shape, not too thick, but not skinny either. It's definitely thinner than a 60s LP, but very close to a 90s LP. I agree that all of the Matsumoku Arias seem to have the same neck shape, and most seem to have the same 3 piece maple neck construction. These necks are stable and strong as hell.

I haven't completely given up on the pickups yet. I think I might try re-potting them, cleaning all the electronics, and see if they sound any better. They certainly look cool.

Comment

wow, that is in minty condition and set neck too. I think the body may be poplar or alder.. if its like my XX deluxe, it doesn't strike me as being mahogany but a wood more similar to maple but this is a set neck version... could be a different animal on the whole. Those stock pickups remind of the ones they had on Tokai limited editions.

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy
                      wow, that is in minty condition and set neck too. I think the body may be poplar or alder.. if its like my XX deluxe, it doesn't strike me as being mahogany but a wood more similar to maple but this is a set neck version... could be a different animal on the whole. Those stock pickups remind of the ones they had on Tokai limited editions.
                      The wood is still a mystery. It feels much too heavy to be poplar or alder, but the grain and colour (from what I can see) looks very plain, and light. I'm wondering now if it might be maple, due to the weight. It is a rather bright sounding guitar.

Comment

Nice one.
                        The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Working...
                        X