Washburn Experts help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washburn Experts help!!!

Hey guys, I think Washburn is giving me the run around.
    Here is the story...
    I have a 1992 N2 that needs a refret
    I called Washburn and I bought a new neck.
    When I got it it was the wrong neck. They sent me an N1 neck.
    It also had offset dots and a protruding truss rod that fits into a pocket that is routed into the body.
    My N2 neck has standard fret markers and the truss rod is concealed in the heel. You access it by removing a little cover on the last fret. The heel is also a different size because of it.
    They issued me a call tag to return the incorrect neck.
    They told me that N2 necks are on order and they will arrive from overseas in a month.
    This was 2 months ago. The necks arrived finally!!!
    I called to confirm they were sending me mine and to describe it to me.
    The parts guy and sales guy both told me that it has a standard plastic nut and offset dots with the protruding truss rod.
    I told them that N2's have Floyds and that N1's have the standard plastic nut.
    I even directed them to the picture below directly from the American Musical Supply website. They told me that N2's no longer have Floyd Rose locking trems. I went onto the Washburn website and showed them that the N2 absolutely does have a Floyd. Only the N1 has a standard non-locking nut. I also told them that every Washburn online distributor and local store that I called told me that the N2 absolutely does have a locking nut. Do you guys have any connections. This doesn't make sense to me.

If it only needs a refret why buy a new neck?

And all the "new" N2's ive seen have offset inlays AND locking nut.

Comment

I bought an N2 when they first came out (since sold and now have two N4s), and therefore have always 'tracked' these models. You are absolutely correct N2 = floyd and import, N1 = cheapie trem/import, N4 = USA. I can't even fathom that they are now saying the N2 comes without floyd.

I believe your version w/center dots and the cover is older version. In looking at ebay, all the new ones for sale are offset with protruding trus rod thing. Assuming the center dots are old, then even Washburn's website is out-of-date. Maybe an alternative is to buy a complete old one..there's a couple in padauk on ebay now.

There is a seller on ebay funkymunkymusic that sells a lot of washburn necks...but I only see the offset ones on his auctions. Maybe you could do the 'ask a question' and see if he has what you need laying around (or at least maybe knows some history on these).

Comment

Warpdrivemusical also used to sell a lot of NOS Washburn necks on Ebay, maybe they'd have an old sty;e N2 neck. But as said above, if you just need a refret, why not do that? I realize that a refret's a lot more $ than a new neck, but if the new necks all have the protruding truss rod end, you'd have to mod the body to use one, and one thing I've liked about the Nunos is the centered dots. I have 2 Mercury Series and love them, but dislike the offset dots. Petty, but there you go.

I've seen project Nunos on the Bay too. If you're not in a hurry you could enter the neck and the guitar into your favorite searches, then Ebay will just email you when they come up for auction. Or, you could try refretting your neck yourself as a project. Fretwire's not that much, worst case you fuck up and have to have it redone. Best case you learn how to do a fret job, a valuable skill. Then for the rest of your life it's parts and elbow grease instead of $300 a pop.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I'm trying to avoid a $300.00 refret on a guitar I can pickup on Ebay for around $250.00 shipped.
          Regarding refretting it myself... by the time I buy all the tools and the fretwire I would have paid enough to have a pro do it.
          I guess I will have to keep looking on Ebay until a replacement neck comes around.

Comment

Just trying to help, John.... try Warpdrivemusical then, like I said, unless you already have. They have had a lot of Washburn stuff in the past including NOS necks from discontinued models.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Contact Bob D at rsguitarworks.net, he does outstanding fretwork and is very reasonable.Plus he loves the Nunos.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
              X