Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'65 Gibson Sg Junior Restoration Complete!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '65 Gibson Sg Junior Restoration Complete!

Finally after two grueling months. A special thanks to all that made suggestions and recommendations, Sully, DonP, mm2002 and others! This is what makes this forum great! Thanks Again guy's!
    I started with a 1965 SG Junior that was somewhat used and abused and had a bad refinish over the original Cherry. The guitar had a dozen tuner changes and the headstock was literally coming apart. It was splitting down the middle of the tuner holes! I decided with all the holes that needed to be plugged to go with the original lacquer finish they put on Gibsons in that era. I figured on a "Jake E. Lee" Polaris (PPG, Duracryl) white job. Then, I had to find the acrylic lacquer since it is sparsely available these days. I'm old school like Mark, but I tried the HVLP gravity guns and they worked out. Just remember to unplug the hole that fills with paint from time to time (It needs air). I had to figure I was going to have to wait till I buffed her out, with the slow curing time, but it was worth it. The guitar had no neck breaks or repairs, so I went ahead with the project. I plugged the tuner holes for re-drilling. It was tricky because I wanted to use the original Kluson nickel tuner ferrels. I decided on "Tonepros" Klusion vintage tuners. You have got to check these out they are awesome, no shaft wobble and the gear internals are Titanium. They feel like a locking tuner with the tight ratio. The headstock was veneered with mahogany and the back of the headstock epoxied. I used epoxy grain filler to seal the Mah. large grain. The fretboard had to be planed, sanded and refretted with Gibson fret wire. The frets were polished to a mirror finish, both on top and the fret ends after levelling and crowning. The fretboard was sealed with StewMac fretboard conditioning oil. (This was done after the primer stage) But, before I could paint the white, I had to replace the side position dots with black ones. I drilled out the cream ones and glued in the black. But, wait this is where it got interesting. I had to leave the black markers sticking out a few thousandth's so that when I paint to the necks' fretboard edge, I could sand and polish the paint and the side dots at the same time, thus levelling everything at the same time. The white SG Junior's in "white" were unique, in that the paint was to go all the way to the fretboards edge. I had to de-oil the rosewood on the edge so that the paint would stick! Well, I managed to pull it off. I have never done anything like this before. The side dot material is very soft, almost the consistancy or hardness of the paint, so it made wet sanding rather easy. So any way, without further addo, here she is. Another added to the Jake collection and I didn't have to have a newspaper route to pay for her I'm beat!

Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

That RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shot in the dark, baby....again!
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Originally posted by MBreinin
      That RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shot in the dark, baby....again!
      Yea, Mike. Notice the white photograph's differently outside than it does inside! Thanks, I think Jake would be proud.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

WOW that is fucking amazing man. I love it and it sounds as if you put a ton of work and effort into her.

great job!
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Great job, that looks fantastic.
          www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Thanks guy's. I have refined my sanding and polishing technique and I'll post that in the Q & A section soon with pics. I've been doing just seperate body and neck guitars and this was my first with an attached neck. This is the 6th guitar I've done since November of last year. I think I need a break and play one or two. One of the suggestions for a new bridge was the Pigtail Music adjustable Stoptail piece/bridge. It's easily intonatable and it's nickel plated aluminum. Awesome machining work they do a Pigtail. It is a very quality piece of hardware.
            What's kind of neat is I used a little Jackson/Charvel technology on the hardware. Instead of using the original "bigass" pickguard screws for the rear control cover (which like to split the edges), I used the J/C type black flat top smaller diameter screws to attach the cover. Budman fixed me up with the screws!
            Last edited by Bengal65; 05-13-2006, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Just beautiful! White guitars are the sexiest.

Comment

Great job... it looks awesome!!!
                Stay fuckin metal.... for life!!! ALEX

www.myspace.com/alekshitz

Comment

Beautiful guitar and it sure looks like a sweet job.

Looking forward to your sanding and polishing story.
                  Henrik
                  AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Looks magnificent, GREAT job!

Comment

Looks awesome. Great job. I would've gone with a metal flake finish, but then again, I'm a GMP guy.

Sweet guitar.

Comment

Thats great dude. I love SGs!

Comment

Working...
                        X