Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pickgaurded strats,flame/quilted tops waste of wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickgaurded strats,flame/quilted tops waste of wood?

I am wondering what you think of pickguarded strats that have either a flamed or quilted top. Are these common, or is it a waste of a beautiful top?
    Yes, they look amazing!
    13.79%
    No, it is blasphemy...
    62.07%
    Yes, but only with a good pickguard
    24.14%
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

I dunno cos sometimes it looks good with a pearloid pickguard but I think it would look better without...

James

Comment

agreed, I cannot bring myself to buy a figured top like that with a bigass strat pickguard covering 50% of the area.
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I think it stoooopid to cover beautiful wood with a huge-ass hunk of plastic
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz
          I think it stoooopid to cover beautiful wood with a huge-ass hunk of plastic

+1

Comment

+2

Comment

+3. They're a tone killer, too. There's nothing like routing pools in the body and mounting your pickups to a huge piece of plastic for sound improvement!

I have some painted gits w/pickguards and don't mind them, they're mostly mutts anyway, but anytime I have a choice, no guard. It's not like the protection they provide really helps them look that much better cosmetically anyway.
              Last edited by circle of the tyrants; 05-12-2006, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Beauty is in the eye (and the pocketbook) of the beholder. I've seen examples of guitars with nice maple tops and pickguards. Look at how many custom axes (Grosh, Suhr, etc.) have great tops and pickguards and still look great.

I have two guitars that have maple tops and solid finishes and I've always wondered what the figuring was like on them, so what do I know?
                Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

It would be nice to see the whole top without a PG, but!!
                  It is like a nice looking girl in a bikini. The bikini covers some of the surface, you want to see the rest, you know the rest is good, but the bikini keeps the interest and the expectation.
                  Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

For the most part, I think it's blasphemy. Not that I think it looks bad, per se. But if you're going to have a nice figured top, why cover most of it up? Looks so much better rear-loaded/no PG.

That said, I also really like the looks of a nicely figured swamp ash body & transparent finish with a typical strat/pickguard layout. That's damn classy in its own traditional right.

Comment

It usually doesn't look good, but it can; as on a flame top with a burst. On a single stained quilt a guard would look ridiculous.
                      Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Not blasphemy to me... I consider trying to fit graphics on pickguarded RRs more of a waste (some look OK, but many aren't worth it).

Comment

Depends....I loved this guitar, my one "let it go" regret.....

Steve E

Comment

Cool! I never saw an Anderson Squier Bullet copy beore.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Kabong
                              Cool! I never saw an Anderson Squier Bullet copy beore.
                              I would suggest looking harder over there in Japan, I'm sure their copying those too

Steve E

Comment

Working...
                              X