Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Strat from 1977???

Hy Guitarmaniacs,

just askin for a friend about the value of a USA-Made Fender Strat from 1977... Just know the serialnr and nothing bout the condition. Please let me know if you got any idea bout the worth of this one...

Serialnumber on Neck is S895285

Thanks Folks

Alex
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "Never judge a wise man by the colour of his skin"
    Stay fuckin metal.... for life!!! ALEX

www.myspace.com/alekshitz

You are going into "Fenderland". There are so many variables. Tread lightly and make damn sure that if you are thinking of buying it you do your research. You have to see it apart to see if all the numbers match. You have to match the dates on the parts. You have to determine whether it is stock or modded. Are the pups original? Are the electronics original? Has it been refinished? A beat up stock Strat is worth way more than a modded one. That's why I won't buy a vintage Strat unless I can touch; feel it and see it all in pieces. My '83 doesn't count because I paid a good price and it was a member of this board.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

The serial number you mention indicates the guitar, if original, would date from 1977 to 1978.

This link might have some info that is of use to you in identifying the originality of that guitar: Good Fender info site
      Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

The serial number you mention indicates the guitar, if original, would date from 1977 to 1978.

This link might have some info that is of use to you in identifying the originality of that guitar: Good Fender info site

Comment

Comment

Dang, I don't know what my response posted 3 times. Sorry about that...

Comment

Dang, I don't know what my response posted 3 times. Sorry about that...

Comment

Sorry, but without the overall condition, a guestimate is waste of time.
                "POOP"

Comment

Sorry, but without the overall condition, a guestimate is waste of time.
                  "POOP"

Comment

Fender 1977???

Hy Folks,

just talked to my buddy the other day and he said that the guitar is in the very best condition cause it has spent most of the time in the case. It was played not very much... just a few times. There was no modding at all. All parts are original. I told him to take some pics to get a better idea of that thing. I'll post when i have them to let YOU see it.

Originally posted by fett
                    There are so many variables. Tread lightly and make damn sure that if you are thinking of buying it you do your research.
                    No bro... I'm not thinking of gettin it... my buddy doesnt even think of selling it.. he just wants to know how much this thing is worth approximately!

Thanx for your help so far!!!

AlTheHell
                    __________________________________________________ ______________
                    Never judge a wise man by the colour of his skin!!!
                    Stay fuckin metal.... for life!!! ALEX

www.myspace.com/alekshitz

Comment

If it's stock, a couple of years at the university.
                      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

wasn't '77, '78 or 79 the last of the large CBS style headstocks? If it is a 3 bolt w/ micro tilt and a large headstock.. those are typically more desirable now than the 4 bolt. Color again plays a big factor in price and desirability.

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy
                          wasn't '77, '78 or 79 the last of the large CBS style headstocks? If it is a 3 bolt w/ micro tilt and a large headstock.. those are typically more desirable now than the 4 bolt. Color again plays a big factor in price and desirability.
                          No, early '82 is the end of the large headstock/3 screw/microtilt/bullet truss rod. Most of these from '79 - '82 have a S9 ('79) serial number. There are a small number that actually have an E2 ('82) serial number, but those are relativly rare. There are a few factory big headstock Strats from late '81/ early '82 that had 4 screw necks.

Comment

If it's bone stock and clean in an OHSC it might get $1500 or a bit more. At that price you are paying for the fashionably large headstock, not for a quality vintage guitar. Odds are that it's been modified in some way, because most of 'em were. They were considered pretty lousy, overpriced guitars in period -- that's how and why companies like Charvel and Schecter got into the business of making high-quality replacement Strat parts. Remember that Fender all but went out of business in 1984 - 1985 because of their awful reputation for quality. (When the first American Standards from the reorganized company hit music stores in 1987, everyone was stunned by the quality and the low price. None of us had expected to see decent new US-made Fenders again.) If you plan to gig with the thing give the neck a few shoves to make sure it doesn't shift in the pocket -- that's a notorious problem with the three-bolts, and there's nothing more embarassing than to have the neck shift and your guitar go all out of tune mid-solo at an important gig. BT, DT. The fretwire Fender used at the time wore pretty quickly, so assume that it's been refretted if it has seen any use. Also, the original pickups sucked bigtime and most got thrown out and replaced, meaning that it's kind of tricky to find genuine originals these days.

Full disclosure: I have a '79 that I've owned for 20 years. I bought it used in 1986, and it was cheap because nobody wanted three-bolt Strats right then. I've been there and back with these pigs. Mine is a nice guitar now, aside from being too damn heavy, but it took a lot of doing to get it there.
                            Last edited by jacflash; 04-17-2006, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X