Vintage Schecter Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Schecter Question

I'm going to check out a "Vintage" 80's Schecter tomorrow. Any tips for recognizing if it's the real deal? I actually own one Schecter. The Headstock says Schecter but that's all I've seen so far. It's a Maple Strathead neck with a strat style body, brass vintage trem with S/S/S configuration. No Serial Number on the neckplate! Also the electronics are not monstertone. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

[email protected]

Here is the only pic I have
    Last edited by Ebbflow; 04-04-2006, 01:37 PM.

Yes, if it doesn't have a skunk stripe on the rear of the neck, it's an import...

Comment

i'd take the neck off, most early ones were stamped on the body (neck pocket and/or pickup route) and neck. that one has the skunk stripe. bar looks like a replacementu

Comment

oh, let me know if you pass on that one.
        thanks.

Comment

If it is 100% USA Schecter it should have Monstertone pickups, a push pull pot, a Schecter stamped trem and a serial # stamped on the neckplate.
          If not, its either a USA Schecter neck on a generic body or an import Schecter neck (no skunk stripe) on a generic body.

Comment

early ones had no stamp on the trem and no serial number.
            most had blank brass neck plates, the trems may have had a schecter sticker on them but not necessarily. you should see a burned in or pressed in stamp on the body though.

Comment

We'll I picked it up. It's light as a feather, just like my other Schecter strathead. No stamp on the neck, the neck pocket had something stamped on the inside of it but I could'nt make it out. The route on the inside is for single coils only (no swimming pool route). The elctronics are still unidentified and not original but the wiring looks top notch and it does have an old 8 hole pickguard like my other schecter. Bridge does look original it's brass on the outside but black on the inside? I'll take pictures later and post them. It really sounds nice and rings out even when not plugged in. If it's real, it spent most of it's time in the closet because it is in great shape! Also it has staggered Klusons on it, no string trees, when were those around?
              Last edited by Ebbflow; 04-06-2006, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scoville
                early ones had no stamp on the trem and no serial number.
                most had blank brass neck plates, the trems may have had a schecter sticker on them but not necessarily. you should see a burned in or pressed in stamp on the body though.
                I think that early dealer built Schecter's had blank plates but I have never seen a factory built Schecter that didn't have a serial # stamped in the neckplate.
                There are a ton of dealer built USA Schecters. I would guess there are more dealer built then factory built.

Does it have a push pull pot?
                The body is probably swamp ash. Schecter was known for using different woods. I had one in ash, mohagony, maple.. I think everything except alder. Most of them were custom ordered from the Schecter parts catalog that the dealer had and built either at the factory or at the dealer.
                In any case, they are great guitars.

Comment

my 1977 strat made for NAMM has a blank brass plate as do most of my other early ones (exotic wood/dream machines). i don't think they used numbers until after a certain point and even then only on certain models. the early pt's only hade "schecter" stamped into the neck plate, no serial number

Comment

I've got to spend some time with her. It plays fantstic and sounds outstanding! I love the single coils, stays in tune even with some trem action and the maple neck is awesome.

A few pics, they are not the best crappy camera with no light =

Comment

Nice piece.Schecter did stamp a serial number in the neck pocket and a date on their unfinished bodies.The arm contours and electronic cavitys varied some what.Body woods varied too ash, maple, alder seem to be the popular ones but I have handled some rosewood bodied ones and man you TALK ABOUT HEAVY.Most of the trems are brass and marked schecter.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The only questionable thing when looking at the pics is the neck plate bezel. None of my Schecters ever had that plastic bezel on them.

Comment

You would have to take the guitar appart to see the markings... Looks good, late usa schecter
                          It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

jg I bought a bunch of NOS Schecter parts all brass and 3 neck plates (sealed in bags with tags) came with the plastic gaskets.No logos.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                            X