Ibanez Jem / Steve Vai Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez Jem / Steve Vai Question

I recently read that Steve Vai uses the Buzz Feiten tuning system in his guitar. Has Ibanez started incorporating this feature on his signature guitars? IS this going to be an option? Also Steve Vai mentions at length that he also uses the Fernandes sustainer. Does anyone have any inside information on this? Who is Steve's guitar tech? Any information is appreciated. Thanks

Re: Ibanez Jem / Steve Vai Question

According to www.ibanez.com they do not incorporate the Buzz Feiten tuning system on the JEM guitars. Vai uses the sustainer in the neck of EVO I believe. His tech is some German guy whose name escapes me at the moment.

Comment

I believe Steve's tech is Thomas Nordeg(sp?).

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Vai uses the sustainer in the neck of EVO I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was FLO.. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

You are correct, it is FLO. My bad.

Comment

Adding the BF system to the Jem would cost Ibanez lots of money in licensing they don't want to spend. Nor do they wish to say in effect "This guitar's in tune, unlike the rest of our line."
            I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Adding the BF system to the Jem would cost Ibanez lots of money in licensing they don't want to spend. Nor do they wish to say in effect "This guitar's in tune, unlike the rest of our line."

[/ QUOTE ]
              [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I had a BFP JEM for about 5 years. It was a Basswood Body.

Tone sucked. Parts were cheap as hell. Neck was too thin and sustain sucked. Harmonics were the best thing about that guitar.

I have always said Ibanez guitars are best in heavily processed environments. They are effects pushers.
              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I have always said Ibanez guitars are best in heavily processed environments. They are effects pushers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to agree with that statement until about 4 years ago when I picked up an RG3120DR. Popular to contrary belief, I think the newer made in Japan Ibanez models are BETTER than the early '90's/late '80's models with a few exceptions.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to agree with that statement until about 4 years ago when I picked up an RG3120DR. Popular to contrary belief, I think the newer made in Japan Ibanez models are BETTER than the early '90's/late '80's models with a few exceptions.

[/ QUOTE ]I definitely agree with Ivan here. I have owned quite a few older model RG's and my 2002 RGT3120 by far is the best out of the bunch. Too bad I can't get used to the neck profile hence she's for sale! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Then again, she can just be a collector piece since she's practically brand new. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Too bad I can't get used to the neck profile hence she's for sale! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Then again, she can just be a collector piece since she's practically brand new. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too thin???
                    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]
                      Too bad I can't get used to the neck profile hence she's for sale! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Then again, she can just be a collector piece since she's practically brand new. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too thin???

[/ QUOTE ]A bit thinner than a Soloist neck which is what I'm used to and favor. But definitely thicker than your JEM/Wizard/Wizard II necks, though. And the sound is just awesome with the neck-thru mahogany body/neck with rosewood fretboard. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                      "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

Vai may or may not use the Feiten system, but he likely has it on some of his guitars. He's tried all of those types of things, including FretWaves. The only place you'll see "Vai uses the Feiten system on everything" is on Ed Roman's site.
                        Ibanez has no plans (that I've heard, anyway) to incorporate either sustainers or the Feiten system on any of the currently available Jems.
                        Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

I'm confused on how the Buzz Feiten system works.

If you had a BF nut installed, would you just have to tune with a regular tuner and the nut would take care of the neccesary adjustments to make each string slightly out of tune so you achieve the Buzz Feiten tuning?

Or do you need to use a BF tuner to achieve the Buzz Feiten tuning? If so, what does the BF nut add to tuning with the BF tuner that you wouldn't get from just using a BF tuner with a standard nut?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I had a BFP JEM for about 5 years. It was a Basswood Body.

Tone sucked. Parts were cheap as hell. Neck was too thin and sustain sucked. Harmonics were the best thing about that guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have owned several Jems, not all sounded great so I can see your point to a degree (I have a BFP right now, stock, and it kills straight into an amp...others I have had, not so much, but your comment on the parts being "cheap as hell" I find a bit odd. Eveything on every Jem that I have owned has been top notch stuff.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Ibanez has no plans (that I've heard, anyway) to incorporate either sustainers or the Feiten system on any of the currently available Jems.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the big Japanese retailers (Ikebe, I believe), had a run of JEM-7VWHs made with the sustainer. I'm sure that they didn't have the Feiten system, however.

Ibanez doesn't send jack shit over to the USA anymore--at least among the decent guitars. You really have to look to the Japanese retailers now to get most of their higher-end stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X