Got my $189 SX GG1 Supreme!! Unbiased review--->

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my $189 SX GG1 Supreme!! Unbiased review--->

Overall impression: They should not be allowed to sell these guitars this cheap!!!

I ordered this guitar expecting some flaws, and assuming I would have to replace some hardware, and probably the pickups too.

Flaws - The flame maple veneer (not photoflame) on the top has some tearout at the waist on the left side where it was routed for the binding. It's very minor (I'll post some pics later today), but if this were an expensive guitar, I would send it back. The only other flaw is that the amber colored dye is a little uneven on the edge of the guitar at the bottom near the strap button. It's a little blotchy. (again I'll post some pics later).

Other than that, the workmanship is fantastic, the finish is gorgeous, and overall the guitar looks great. The action was kinda high, so I cranked it down to where I like it, and expected the strings to be fretting out all over the place. Nope. A small amount of buzz, but no dead spots whatsoever. The neck is not chunky, but not super slim, a comfortable C shape. The tuners seem to be pretty good, not notchy, or too sloppy. I'll probably do some nut work on it, in fact I'll make a bone nut for it. I plugged it in this morning, and the stock pickups are actually pretty damn good. I'm still gonna change them eventually, but I'll not be in any hurry. I'll have to do a set-up, because the intonation is off.

Anyway, I'm really super impressed at what you can get for $189. I wouldn't hesitate to play this thing at a gig.

Here's a link to the Rondo page for this guitar.

http://www.rondomusic.net/gg1supamb.html
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Re: Got my $189 SX GG1 Supreme!! Unbiased review--->

Here's the pics.

Here's the blotchy spot on the side.

Here's where the veneer is rough at the edge.

Comment

Re: Got my $189 SX GG1 Supreme!! Unbiased review--

Looks pretty nice! Just goes to show you how much of a mark-up there is on other imports.

Comment

Hmmmm, I like my Agile, alot. Maybe I will have to try one of these. I think they have a goldtop P-90 version.

Mike
        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Keep in mind, you're not getting a Gibson. It's not "perfect", but since it's a tenth the cost of a new LP, you won't mind so much if it gets dinged a little.

Comment

Nice looking guitar, I like my Agile also. I may have to check that out as well, maybe in p90's for something different. Amazing what you can get for 189 or even 149, I've drank more than that.
            Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Looks very nice. I actually like the slight "point" that the lower horn comes to, as opposed to the "rounder" one on the agile....

Comment

Nice and VERY nice for the price!

BTW:

Are all pics of guitars in this section of the board supposed to be taken in the kitchen? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
                Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Nice and VERY nice for the price!

BTW:

Are all pics of guitars in this section of the board supposed to be taken in the kitchen? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean I'm not the only one? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Nope

Look just above/below your thread:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...gonew=1#UNREAD

First two threads I looked at today....both with kitchen counters in them.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
                    Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

LOL, I took them in my kitchen, because my kitchen faces south, and is the brightest room in the house.

Comment

Hey zeegler, I know what you mean about the quality of the SG stuff from Rondo. I just received a 5 String banjo from them this week and was really suprised by the quality and sound for 130 bucks. It actually set up pretty nice right out of the box. I was figuing on having to replace some parts and such, but really for learning the instrument it should prove really nice. I was going to go with a Deering Goodtime II, but for 300 bucks less this thing plays and sounds every bit as good. So it leads me to maybe picking up a couple of their guitars for myself and my son. You've had yours for a few days now, would you still recommend them? Chris

Comment

Chris. I can honestly say I am having a blast with this thing. It plays very well, and I haven't even done any fretwork on it yet. It's not a Jackson, but hell, for the price, you're lucky it even HAS frets!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It stays in tune, intonates, has decent action, sounds fantastic, and looks pretty nice too.

The pickups are good, possibly even great sounding, but more of a vintage output level. I am changing mine out simply because I want to see what this thing sounds like with a Duncan Custom in it. I'll have to put the stock ones on the meter, and see what they measure at. Best $189 I ever spent!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Chris. I can honestly say I am having a blast with this thing. It plays very well, and I haven't even done any fretwork on it yet. It's not a Jackson, but hell, for the price, you're lucky it even HAS frets!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It stays in tune, intonates, has decent action, sounds fantastic, and looks pretty nice too.

The pickups are good, possibly even great sounding, but more of a vintage output level. I am changing mine out simply because I want to see what this thing sounds like with a Duncan Custom in it. I'll have to put the stock ones on the meter, and see what they measure at. Best $189 I ever spent!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean, man. I changed the pickups in my Agile 2000, because I HAD to believe I could make it sound better!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] So, I put my Duncan '59/Custom hybrid in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. I then traded the Jazz for a Gibson 496 for the neck (wanted something more dark). I also changed all the pots for an RS vintage set. To be honest, I am not sure if it sounds better....but I think it may. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The pots made a huge difference though, because they made the controls actually usable.

I put the stock pickups in a POS Affinity Squier I have, and they really brought that guitar to life.

I really want an amp though...so I need to lay off the geetar buying for a while.

Mike
                            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Mike, I think I'm mental. Last night, I stripped the guitar of all electronics and hardware. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] There was absolutely nothing wrong with any of it. The pickups sounded good, the electronics were wired nicely, the pots were quiet, the bridge was decent, etc, but I simply can't leave well enough alone. I am getting worse by the week. I'm to the point now, where I buy a guitar, and if there's nothing wrong with it, I will invent stuff that needs to be done to it, just so I can take it apart and fook with it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

So, basically, I'm putting new pots (full size ones, not the dime-sized ones) in this thing, a switchcraft jack, and toggle, a Duncan Custom in the bridge, and a GFS Crunchy PAF in the neck. I also had a brand new Gotoh TOM bridge and tailpiece kicking around without a home, so I figured I'd put those on as well. They are really nice, high quality pieces. I'm also planning on installing a 25DB on board pre-amp/booster. I'll replace one of the tone pots with a push on/push off switch, and make the other one a master tone. I'll keep the tone knob on there, so it will still look the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X