Good Epi/Bad Epi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Epi/Bad Epi?

So, we've had some people talking about the Agile LP and the Tokai LP (as well as past mention of the Edwards and Burny), and I'm wondering, is there such thing as a good Epiphone LP vs. a bad Epiphone LP? I seem to remember at one time, the Epiphones were supposedly put through the same 18 point inspection process that the Gibbies were. Just curious as to whether or not Epiphone is capable of making a decent guitar, or are you better off with one of the above mentioned copies?

Re: Good Epi/Bad Epi?

I'll let you know in March [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I just played my cousins Epi LP, and I was surprised. It was much nicer than most of the other Epis I have seen or played. It appeared a little cheaper in some ways than the Tokais and Agiles, but still a decent guitar. Some Epis I have tried in music stores were pure garbage.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh,great, another 357 bastard to piss me off! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]
        kidding, I'm just pissed at myself for not pulling the trigger!
        I've heard that some are good, and some are crap, but thought there might be certain "lines" (ie, custom, ZW, etc) that fall into one category or another. Has anybody noticed that MF has an Epi model that looks very similar to the John Sykes model (without the glorious "relicing"!)?

I don't NEED a new guitar, but everyone SHOULD have at least one LP or LP style guitar in their collection, right? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

i had an epi korina explorer awhile ago............would like to get another one, had a hard time adjusting to the smaller scale, but all in all not a bad axe for the price

Comment

yeah I really think this is one of those brands, that if you want to buy one, you HAVE to play it first. there are some poorly finished and dud Epi's out there, and some good ones.

I'm considering the Epi 335 dot or the Epi 1275. those are the only ones I would want.
            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh,great, another 357 bastard to piss me off! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]
              I've heard that some are good, and some are crap, but thought there might be certain "lines" (ie, custom, ZW, etc) that fall into one category or another. Has anybody noticed that MF has an Epi model that looks very similar to the John Sykes model (without the glorious "relicing"!)?

I don't NEED a new guitar, but everyone SHOULD have at least one LP or LP style guitar in their collection, right? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be pissed until they actually receive their fantasy too good to be true guitars. After they get them you can come over for dinner at my house. I will be serving crow.

Comment

The only things I didn't like about the Epi was the tiny frets and awful pots/switches. I have been checking out the Agile because it has jumbos, I'm sure it has the same crappy electronics but I can deal with that. Plus they cost 159 new in black w/gold hardware. I'll post a review when it arrives.
                Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be pissed until they actually receive their fantasy too good to be true guitars. After they get them you can come over for dinner at my house. I will be serving crow.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are we having for a side dish John? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

The 'signature' Epis are good, I have the Zakk bullseye, The John Connolly and the Slash models.

Here's an old thread with similar question as yours:
                    http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

Comment

Thanks. I forgot to run a search...

Comment

I had a DOT with upgraded pickups and tuners. I liked the feel of the neck, but tonally the guitar sucked. It really did not have that 335 tone that I was looking for.

Of course, it could have just been mine...who knows?

Mike
                        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

i find the earlier "limited edition" ones were a bit better in quality.
                          i had a gold sparkle top and a flametop limited editions and both were very nice for the money.

Comment

Speaking of Epi's, does anyone have Comcast cable? In the On Demand channel, there are guitar lessons. I was watching the SRV Pride and Joy lesson and the guy is using a sweet epi hollowbody. Has anyone seen the this and can tell what model it is?
                            Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

The Epi Elites are great. I have a Les Paul Standard and it is as good as any Gibson I've played.

Comment

Working...
                              X