Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The $200 "Les Paul" arrives...my impressions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The $200 "Les Paul" arrives...my impressions....

So, a couple weeks ago I played a friend's Agile 3000. I had actually told him to get one, since I had heard such good things about them and he wanted a LP copy. I was so impressed with his, that I ordered the less expensive 2000, in the Tiger Eye finish.

This is the basic Agile LP copy, and sells for $200 on E-Bay. Has a rosewood board, maple neck, mahogany body and flame maple cap. Neck and body are bound, headstock is not. Ceramic humbuckers, chrome hardware.

On first inspection, I found some finish issues. On the fingerboard between the nut and first fret there was a stain, like someone thought of staining the board...but only did a small part. There is a little overslop on the edge of the headstock, Small stuff. The fretboard was thirsty, so I lemon oiled it. It sucked up quite a bit, and that also made the stain less prominent. The factory strings were the worst I had ever experienced. They turned my fingers black in 5 minutes. I slapped on a set of Fender nickles in .009. Had to tighten up the truss rod a bit as a result, but after some tweaking I got it where I wanted it.

Overall, the finish is really amazing for a $200 guitar. The flame top is very flamey, although the double stain process that is used to create the tiger eye finish removes a great deal of the depth of the flame. However, it still looks cool.

Neck has a 1 5/8 nut width and is a slim profile. It is actually quite comfortable.

I was expecting to do a pickup swap on this guitar. However, after playing it...I am not sure if I will. The stock pickups have plenty of juice, but are pretty mellow. Not as bright as the Alnico Vs that are in my friend's 3000...we a/b'd the guitars yesterday.

Overall, this guitar is astonishing. I just can't believe how much you can get for $200. I have owned real Les Pauls and while this is not a Gibson in terms of quality...tonally it is very, very close to a non-vintage Gibson. There isn't enough of a difference for me to feel disappointed in the Agile. It feels like a Les Paul, plays like a Les Paul and sounds like a Les Paul. FAT, lots of sustain and gives you that fabulous neck pickup distorted tone...or a ripping Sykes tone...I think I played the "Cryin' in the Rain" riff for about 2 hours on Saturday! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I would love to see how their $500 top of the line model stacks up, because I actually preferred mine tonally over my friend's $360 3000 model.

Thumbs up for a great,inexpensive LP copy.

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Re: The $200 \"Les Paul\" arrives...my impressions....

Cool, Mike!

Hey did you ever replace that badass Crown Vic?
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Very cool! Just have to disable the tone control for the bridge pick up, and you can jam "Cryin In The Rain" for FOUR hours!

Comment

pics? [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Re: The $200 \"Les Paul\" arrives...my impressions..

Sounds like a nice guitar for an incredible price.

I'm now considering one of these. I've been without my guitar for two days now moved out of home for college finaly, and I'm going crazy! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

and this could be a good alternative instead of risking bringing down my real Les Paul for fear of theft.

thanks for the review!

Comment

This is the picture from the Rondo Music site, mine looks very similar...but my top is not bookmatched as well as this one!!

And yes, RacerX, I am replacing my Crown Vic next weekend. With this:

Comment

I would call you a blasphemour for buying a Jag but those things are practically Fords now. Both look to be nice scores.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I would call you a blasphemour for buying a Jag but those things are practically Fords now. Both look to be nice scores.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I have always wanted an XJR, and the inline 6 versions are bulletproof. Plus, the X300 Chassis XJ series was the first new Jag introduced after the Ford buyout....which is also why it is the most reliable Jag in history. Plus, you can't argue with 322 HP and 390 lbs.ft. of torque all wrapped up in that sexy body with that magnificant interior. Depreciation is your friend with a Jag!!!

Mike

Comment

I was thinking about an Agile myself. I ended up buying a Michael Kelly instead. Everyone seems to really like the Agiles.
                  Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I was thinking about an Agile myself. I ended up buying a Michael Kelly instead. Everyone seems to really like the Agiles.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are probably all made in the same factory in Korea.

Mike

Comment

Mike- how's she staying in tune? through big bends and such (the new agile)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Mike- how's she staying in tune? through big bends and such (the new agile)

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems to stay in tune pretty well. Needs an occasional turn, but that doesn't put me off. I did break a D string last night, of all strings. Broke at the saddle.

Mike

Comment

Gotchya, cool thanks.

There's one on ebay right now I'm debating bidding on. I'm going home this weekend to either bring my LP back with me, or pick up the sub-200 dollar Agile on ebay (it's right where my folks' house is).

Comment

For a 200$ guitar, that flame is super sweet...is it real maple, or a picture?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              For a 200$ guitar, that flame is super sweet...is it real maple, or a picture?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it is a real maple cap. However, the way it is stained makes it very two dimensional..and takes away quite a deal of the depth. I have heard this also happens on the Joe Perry Boneyard Epiphones. Still, it IS pretty!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X