ESP MH-400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESP MH-400

Recently I bought a ESP MH-400NT since I read very good reviews about it. The building quality is very poor there are a lot of flaws in binding and painting, the rosewood fingerboard and the mahogany body feel pretty cheap and the frets are also kinda of low quality.

I really like the quilted trans-black finish and the EMG pickups but that doesn`t make it for me in overall so I guess I will sell it pretty soon.

Re: ESP MH-400

I have two and an mh300, and think they are great quality.

I love the feel of the neck and the finish. I have no issues with the bindings on any of my 5 bound ESP MH guitars.

After a few lemon-oilings, the fretboards came right to life on mine and the fret work/ setup is good. Plus the guitar NEVER goes out of tune.

I also have a black mh1000, and trans black MH250 (still in the shipping process)and I don't have any of the problems you mentioned on any of the guitars. The mahogony on the MH400s and mh1000 aren't quite as heavy as the older MH300, so you could be correct that they use a different genus of lower quality now, but it still sounds alright.

Shame you don't like yours. I guess every company has bad ones. I've had similar problems with some jacksons, and I've played the same model as the problem Jackson and had it blow me away.

If you do sell it, PM me with a price and maybe we can work something out.

Also, it would be great if you could post some pictures of it. There aren't many around.

Here's mine:

Comment

I guess I`m not being fair because I`m comparing the ESP MH-400 with my Jackson SL2H and with my ex-Ibanez RG3120, I really like the TOM since I changed it for a TonePro other thing that turned me off were the inlays, not so good. I think I`ll save money for a Jackson SL2T.

Comment

The inlays on the new MHs are crap, unfortunately. They are streaked plastic to look like pearl... but are just plastic.

My older mh300 has pearl inlays and they are badass. Even ESPs 200 series had pearl inlays before. It's dumb how the 200 and 300 series guitars had pearl and the 400 and 1000 now have plastic. What was wrong with the original bridge? I'm pretty sure gotoh makes tuneomatics and as far as I know, the only difference is the locking feature. How do you like the earvanna nut?

and most importanly... pics!

Comment

Thanks for the honest appraisal. I was liking these but I think I'll pass. I thought the ones I've seen at GC and SA weren't too hot, but its sounding like this is the rule not the exception.

Oh, and one of my best axes is a 1990 M-1 Custom Neck thru, so I'm not just an ESPee basher. I'd buy there old stuff in an instant.

Comment

Here they are my ESP MH-400NT and my Jackson Soloist SL2H

Comment

The rosewood looks very dry

Comment

I have been looking for a guitar with same specs as a Jackson SLATQH and the ESP MH-400NT comes pretty close. How good are the XJ frets? Are they as good as a SLSMG's? Also, how thick is the feel of the neck when compared to the slsmg's?
                Sam

Comment

LTD's are hit and miss, definitely try before you buy. MF send me 3 different KH-600's before I said screw it, give me a refund. The Carpenter I had was decent as well as the MF-7. The inlay work on the MF-7 was shit though.
                  1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Working...
                  X