Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maple neck and mahogany neck Les Pauls-Difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple neck and mahogany neck Les Pauls-Difference?

I'm sure there's some tone difference there, since maple is a bit brighter than mahogany, but does anyone own a maple neck LP that could compare?

Re: Maple neck and mahogany neck Les Pauls-Difference?

I was playing a maple necked LP just yeasterday at Sam Ash (I believe it was - it was a 1980 with a thin neck). Seemed pretty loud acoustically, very bass heavy (I expected the opposite). I pressed the upper horn against my chestbone to feel the strong vibrations, and it was easily more powerful than the other LP's they had.

I was in a hurry to pick up my daughter, so I didn't get much time with it plugged in. What time I did was in a used POS DSL401 that the reverb would come in and out (I had it turned all the way down). I couldn't get a descent tone out of it, but like I said, I only had 5 minutes with it.

I'd say there are too many variables involved to just say a maple necked LP will be brighter. I played a Kalamazoo LP (1979) that I think sounded similar and had a maple neck. I'd strongly recomend trying before you buy, unless you can dump it and not loose money if you don't like it.

SA had this listed for $1399. I had lost an auction earlier that day for a 1981 LP Custom with a maple neck @ $1500 (it went for $1525).

I have three LP's as it is, so do I really need another? No, but GAS says YES!

Comment

Hey Tony,

I had one of those early 80s sandwich LPs with the Maple neck and board. It was the first LP that I owned. I loved it. However, I got the bright idea that if I loved that one, then I would be in ecstacy over a Zakk Sig. LP with a maple neck. So, I sold it and bought the Zakk.

The Zakk was a tyrd and I have been kicking myself ever since I sold that maple necked LP. If I could have one guitar back that I have sold, that would be it.

That guitar was so resonant and it played like a dream. I got it at Atomic for about 1500 and sold it for the same with a BIN on eBay. After the auction I had at least 5 guys offer me over $2200 for it. It was mint and all original. Doh!

Comment

I have a maple doubleneck (mahogany body) Gibson SG and the tone is superb. I never thought the two would be compatible, but I was badly mistaken. I'm sure the marriage on a LP would be much the same.
        "POOP"

Comment

Fritz,

If yours was a pancake body it would have been from 75-77.

I sure wish the one at Sam Ash was a custom. Damn. But for tone it sounds like this standard was a lot like yours.

Comment

Re: Maple neck and mahogany neck Les Pauls-Differe

I played a five piece necked guitar (mahogany/birdseye maple/mahogane/birds/mah/) with mahogany body. Tone was divine. By adding maple to the neck you're basically doing the same as the maple top, but the impact is greater since the neck is WAY more determing to your sound than a top. Better sustain and a sweeter top-end was the result, great balance between the tonalities of the mah and the maple.

And since this wasnt a full maple neck, there might be differences but a full maple neck would defnitly not sound bad.
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Are you talking about the neck or the fretboard? I have never actually seen a maple boarded LP, if taht's what you mean.

slevy007

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Are you talking about the neck or the fretboard? I have never actually seen a maple boarded LP, if taht's what you mean.

slevy007

[/ QUOTE ]

They're rare, but not unheard of. Zakk's camo bullseye has a maple board.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

slevy007

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep - very rare I'd say. I see them mostly on "natural" colored LP Customs's, but some guy bought a mid-80's black custom with one. They were more common (relatively) in the mid-late 70's.

But I think this thread is about the neck wood material - Gibson had a few years when they used 3 piece maple instead of mahogany necks.

Comment

Hey Fritz! I remember back when I stopped up your place you had just gotten that Zakk LP and already didn't like it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Don: The 3 piece maple neck is exactly what I was thinking about. I'm looking at 2 old LPs...one is a Standard that's mahogany neck/body, and the other one is a Deluxe with a 3 piece maple neck. I've always owned all mahogany LPs and loved the tone, and was a little unsure about going for the Deluxe with the 3 piece maple.
                    So you recommend the 3 piece neck?

Comment

Subvamp,

Here is what I think LOL!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Comment

Wow, nice score, and a great price for a 70s model! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I just said the hell with it and settled for a '76 Explorer. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hopefully I'll be getting it tomorrow. I'll let you know if it is worth it.

Comment

Working...
                          X