RG2120KKB Review w/pics (of course)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RG2120KKB Review w/pics (of course)!

Here’s a brief review for my latest acquisition, an Ibanez RG2120-KKB. Pics first, words later: [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The front:

The back:

The headstock:

Specs: Mahogany body with Flame Koa top, direct mount pickups (DiMarzio Tone Zone/Air Norton), 5-way slide switch, master volume, master tone, AANJ, “Ultra” Prestige neck, which is quite thick but amazingly comfortable, with Rosewood board and off-center Abalone dots. The “Ibanez” headstock logo is intensely colorful and variegated MOP (lots of pink and green), but I couldn’t get that to show up in the photos (sorry).

I can find very little information about these, but from what I have found, I understand that these were a limited run, made for the Japan market only, that they were made for 2 years, and that 20-30 were made each of those years. If you have more/different info, I'd love to learn more.

It plays very well and sounds fantastic. After years of being anti-Ibanez (not really sure why), I finally bought a JEM 7VWH last year after being floored by what Vai does with one, and I grew to love it so much that I ended up selling my beautiful Archtop Soloist Pro and Violin Brown SL2H – I know that sounds traitorous, but I had to admit I never played them anymore! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] (Damned painted necks!) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I am now up to 3 Ibanezes, and I love ‘em all. Here are the other 2:

Re: RG2120KKB Review w/pics (of course)!

Beautiful guitars!!!

Comment

Sweet...

I'm on your side in the unpainted/painted neck debate.

Comment

Very cool indeed [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] I wouldn't say I was anti-Ibanez myself, but I've had a few and never really 'bonded' with any of them.....
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Very nice guitars.

I'm still anti-Ibanez - I think it's because I like to play aggresive heavy metal, and these are more "virtuoso" guitars. I just can't see playing Megadeth with a Jem LOL!

I find it interesting you are willing to go from neck-thru to bolt-on in order to get away from the painted neck - I'd like to go the other way (too many bolt ons, not enough neck-thrus).

Comment

That's a really nice Ibanez. Too bad they don't offer anything as cool as that as a standard option on their production models.

And +1 on the unpainted neck thing. Although I think it also depends on the lacquer which was used to cover the neck. The painted neck on my RR Pro isn't too bad, where as the neck on my Gibby LP is just awfull when it gets dirty.
            -Janne

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I find it interesting you are willing to go from neck-thru to bolt-on in order to get away from the painted neck - I'd like to go the other way (too many bolt ons, not enough neck-thrus).

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't really switch to bolt-ons to get away from painted necks. I cure those with sandpaper (unless the guitar is too nice, then I sell it). [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'm just extremely happy with Ibanez' AANJ. It seems to offer the best of both worlds to me.

Comment

That wins the offical "**** DAMN!!!" Award. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Dude... you have 3 WINNERS [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

That RG2120KKB is really a nice looking axe! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks, everyone!!

Comment

That is a kick ass guitar. I myself am not anti-Ibanez in any way. I owned an RG1527 that was a killer guitar. I just couldn't get over the stupid thin neck. Can you compare the Ultra neck to anything else? If it's much thicker and more comfortable, I would be more likely to look into one of those a little later on. Especially one with a koa top, that thing is tits!

Comment

I'm not positive it's an Ultra, but I think it is. The RG2120X (the one with the Piezo-equipped "Double Edge" trem) has an "Ultra" neck, and that model number is almost identical to my RG2120KKB. I've read that "Ultra" necks are supposed to be rounder, but this doesn't feel very round to me. It is kind of flattened on the back, like the neck on my JEM. It also has a big, thick volute, which reminds me of an ESP (I don't like volutes, but I s'pose they make sense).

Comparison-wise, the neck on this is thicker than any of my current or former Jacksons (SL4, SL2H, Archtop Pro, Dinky Reverse Pro) or Ibanezes (JEM 7VWH, RG520QS). It's comparable in thickness to my former Charvel Model 5A. It seems a bit wider across the fretboard than my Jacksons have been, but is similar to my JEM's neck in that respect. Almost like a cross between 1-11/16" and 1-3/4".

I guess to summarize, it's nothing like my RG's neck. It's shaped very similarly to my JEM's neck, except quite a bit thicker at the lower end of the scale. It seems more comparable to my JEM as I get into the higher frets. It's not quite as slinky/easy to play as my JEM (nothing I've played is), but I still plan to get a pro setup on it.

I love thin necks, and I'm actually surprised that I like this neck. When I ordered this, I knew it was supposed to have a thick neck, and I was prepared to get it shaved, but after receiving it, I found to my surprise that I like it. It feels good.

Comment

Hey, thanks a bunch. I might have to try and find one of those to take for a test drive.

Comment

Working...
                            X