Used gibson les paul or new edwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used gibson les paul or new edwards

Lately I've been thinking of getting a les paul.Are the edwards line as good as the gibsons? Tone and playability is what I'm seeking.

Re: Used gibson les paul or new edwards

Having 2 early 80's Greco's in the house at the moment, I'd say go that way. I had an Edwards recently that seemed fine, though I couldn't get happy with it due to the HUGE '58 profile neck. The Greco's were about $450 each on the 'Bay, and they are great guitars, and you couldn't touch a comparable Gibson for anywhere near the same money.
    Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Used Gibson. Why settle for a copy.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Agreed. I tried the copies, still own one too, but I love my Gibson LPC.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I also think that a LP should say Gibson on the headstock (or at least Epiphone)
          There are plenty of copies that are great. Heck.. some of the Tokai and Ibanez older copies are better than the originals but they are REALLY expensive now. Pick up a used Standard or Studio and you'll have a nice guitar that will retain its value.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly - you only live once.

For a shredder, try a Classic. These can be found used at just over $1K.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I also think that a LP should say Gibson on the headstock (or at least Epiphone)
              There are plenty of copies that are great. Heck.. some of the Tokai and Ibanez older copies are better than the originals but they are REALLY expensive now. Pick up a used Standard or Studio and you'll have a nice guitar that will retain its value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never played an LP copy that was better than a Gibson - certainly not any of those lawsuit Ibanez's - they were good for sure but they ain't no Gibson.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

So what price range am I looking at for a standard ?

Comment

Is a classic better then a standard? I'm looking at tone and playability. Of course I'd like to play fastI'm guessing the classic is slimmer (neck).

Comment

Some of the older Tokai LoveRock models and certainly the old Ibanez Artist series were beautifully constructed guitars. There were alot of pretty high end LP copies back in the late 70's and early 80's. I forget all the brand names. Aria had a nice one I think.

Comment

Well, if you can get a Gibson LP for the same coin as a $450 Japanese made Greco, then by all means go for it. If you don't have a grand to spend on a Gibson, the older Greco, Burny, Orville, Tokai, etc guitars are a good deal for the dollar. I don't personally like the Ibanez branded Les Pauls from the 70's. You might also find a Heritage for a decent price if you look around. You can check the recently closed auctions on eBay to get an idea of what they're going for, that will help you level set your expectations for return on your dollar.
                      Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Orville Gibsons are nice.

Comment

Totally agree with Jim, it all depends on how much you are willing to burn on a LP and how important a logo is to you.

At the an of the day how many giddy purist do you reckon can tell the difference when you give them two identical LP with a different logo.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            So what price range am I looking at for a standard ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the year, but I'd say $1400 - $1700 used if you are shopping wisely. Classics from $1100 - $1500 unless you want a Premium Plus or < 1993.

The Classic has extremely hotpickups (496R/500T) - hotter than a DD IMO. The Standard will have different pickups based on the year, some hot, some more PAF style.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Is a classic better then a standard? I'm looking at tone and playability. Of course I'd like to play fastI'm guessing the classic is slimmer (neck).

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people dis' the Classic because LP purist don't like hot pickups in an LP. So these usually go for cheaper, but depending on the year, they can be just as good or better than a Standard.

My arsenal is a 1996 Classic Premium Plus, a 2002 Std. with 60's (= thin) neck, and a 2004 R0 (Historic 1960 = thin neck).

I recommend you hang out on the Les Paul forum and read up before spending this amount of cash. There are lots of things to know about LPs. Play some to make sure this is for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X