My initial Variax 600 impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My initial Variax 600 impressions

Ok, I was gonna wait till I got the XT Live and Workbench software setup to do this, but ehh.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

First the actual "guitar" part of it:
    It plays nice. The neck isn't terrible. I've had worse, I've had better. This is closer to the "better" side than the "worse" side.
    The backshape is round and comfy - not a V, not shredder-thin, but not as fat as a DK2, for example. I'd almost say San Dimas, but I know how you guys are about that [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
    Only complaints about the neck:
    - 22 frets. I loooooove 24 fretters.
    - thickly coated. While painted and glossy coated necks don't bother me, this one does for some reason. Maybe it's just the local atmospherical conditions, I dunno.
    - I would mention the plastic nut and non-locking tuners on a guitar with a tremolo, but then I realize the high dollar value of the internal electronics kinda puts a spending cap on the extras.

The body:
    Not bad. Don't really know what it is. Tapping on it reminds me of the Dano I had. I don't really care what the wood is, as it should have no effect on the LR Baggs piezo saddles and the internal computer. Put a neck on your refrigerator and it'll still sound the same.
    I'm not fond of the body style itself - maybe they need to hook up with Warmoth to supply their bodies.

The sound:
    This is why this guitar exists. I don't have all of the modeled guitars to compare the Variax directly to, but then I really don't care if it sounds like a 58 or 68 Les Paul. I'm not a Tone Snob, I'm a Gear Whore.
    This guitar is designed for Gear Whores. I want 500 different guitars because 500 different guitars gives me thousands of different sounds (each guitar having at least 2 pickups with various combinations and other switching features like coil taps, phasing, inversion, yadda yadda).
    This is NOT a guitar for someone to say "No, actually, I don't have a 1959 Strat, but I have a guitar that sounds like a 1959 Strat", this is a guitar for someone to say "I've got ONE guitar that sounds like 30". Period. End of discussion.

Complaint Department:
    One day someone will make a piezo Floyd, and that will be a great day. Until then, a non-locking piezo tremolo is still pretty much useless without Sperzels and a no-grip nut.

I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: My initial Variax 600 impressions

As For the floyd, the tremelo system on the EBMM JP's is great, keeps tuning very well and the piezo's are in there, it's not a floyd though.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Yeah but what kinda nut and tuners does it have?
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

I heard that it allows you to switch tunings on the fly. Is that true?

oh, btw, i'm pretty sure warmoth has variax replacement kits. i wonder if the jackson custom shop would build a guitar around the variax electronics?
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Newc, im sure your aware of the Ibanez fully floating double edge and edge pro piezo trems. Stay in tune as good as anything when set up right and a full floating bridge with piezo's.

Im sure that's the next evolution for the Variax along the line. 24 frets would be nice too!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I heard that it allows you to switch tunings on the fly. Is that true?

oh, btw, i'm pretty sure warmoth has variax replacement kits. i wonder if the jackson custom shop would build a guitar around the variax electronics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of .. they have a software called workbench that allows you to change different bodies,settings etc..alternate tunings is one of the features. You would have to create a guitar in a tuning and then save that tuning to a bank in the guitar...
            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Yeah, and you have to be playing through an amp or headphones loud enough to not be able to hear the guitar itself, otherwise it's gonna throw you off.
              The tracking for the alternate tunings is great, though I haven't tried to outrun it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As for the Ibanez tremolos - I couldn't say one way or the other, I'm still boycotting them [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Oh, and regarding Tim's comments about the 12-string - they're not too bad - better than a simple pitch shift effect (the 1 and 2 are DOUBLED, not octaved like with a pitch shifter). Though I would like to be able to tweak the timing and volume of the simulated strings.

For some real fun, though, run the 12-string through a pitch shifter's 12-string patch [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

the workbench software is very neat. your ability to create franken guitars is really nice - it's very similar to the capabilities in the Roland VG-8/88 regarding guitar modeling although the Roland has more tweakability around acoustics and the pitch shifting is much better in the Roland.

as Kevin said, you can tweak the tunings and save them in a "patch" on the guitar. it really is very flexible, capable, and simple to use. where this all falls short is in the quality of the Line 6 pitch shifting. even moderate shifting (like just a whole step) results in digital warble. fortunately it's not that noticeable with some signal processing or distortion but a clean dry tone is a little rough on the ears with pitch shifting.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Just to give you an idea I quickly took a strat body with a hum and set up 5 settings on a bank from E down to C in 1/2 steps.. what you hear is not me moving down the frets but the guitars software switching down ..the guitar itself is still tuned to E

the Clean sound is Dropped to C ..again the guitar is tuned to E ...

Dirty Drop

Clean Dropped C
                  Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Variax tuned in E... Software detuned 1 Octave and run through the tone port bass sim ..

Bass sim

Comment

Kevin, when playign that bass patch with headphones, do you feel or notice a "delay" , as well as the downtuned electrics, do you notice this delay ive heard of.

There are two schools of thought. One that people are just feeling and hering things different because the acoustic sound of the guitar vs the recorded sound, or their is a legitimate delay from the processing thru the variax guts and software that.

Your take?

Comment

If you happen to have an outboard acoustic simulator (like a certain Zoom PS04 unit [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) then run the Variax through that for a downright scary acoustic tone [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Also, the Variax comes with a few Custom presets - according to the manual, Custom1/switch position 3 is one of the acoustic models from the Acoustic setting, but to me it sounds like Over The Hills And Far Away, which was done with a mic in front of an amp and one in front of the Tele to get both the acoustic and amped tones.

Comment

I heard you could have warmoth make a body and neck combo for Variax guitars. Then you could have a better body shape and 24 frets(!) with a better nut. Expensive, but if you really wanted it you could have it.
                          chuck
                          "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I heard you could have warmoth make a body and neck combo for Variax guitars. Then you could have a better body shape and 24 frets(!) with a better nut. Expensive, but if you really wanted it you could have it.
                            chuck

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes sir.. that Variax is a warmoth body and neck the only thing variax is the guts and bridge ..

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Kevin, when playign that bass patch with headphones, do you feel or notice a "delay" , as well as the downtuned electrics, do you notice this delay ive heard of.

There are two schools of thought. One that people are just feeling and hering things different because the acoustic sound of the guitar vs the recorded sound, or their is a legitimate delay from the processing thru the variax guts and software that.

Your take?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've not noticed any delay honestly and it isn't tracking like a midi guitar would. The sound you are hearing is the actually string vibration and the software is just reshaping it where most midi is fully synthetic.

The most messed up thing is when you don't have headhpones or you don't have your guitar loud enough and you hear the E tuning of the strings resonate. It basically sounds like ghost notes ... you try to figure out if it's coming through the patch

Newc

When I built the warmoth I had a natural tendancy to go to .009's. Recently I decided to go back to the .010's on the guitar and I noticed a huge difference in the tones.. have you tried a different gage?

Comment

Working...
                              X