Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does he really need another string?!?

Dino with an 8-string Ibanez!
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Does he really need another string?!?

that's just fucking stupid. I don't even like the 7-string ones.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

apparently Devin from Strapping young lad is having ESP make him an 8 string also.

meshuggah also rock with 8 strings.

Comment

No he doesn't, but he can't let Meshuggah enjoy the gimmick alone.

Comment

Only if he's started taking lessons from this guy: www.charliehunter.com

Comment

Better hope he has complete control over the 6 OR 7 string before switching to the 8.. Steve Vai can play a 7 because he dominates on a 6, but I think a lot of people using 7s need to stick to 6 before they move on.. Good example is some guy in my HS who played a $1500 ibanez 7 but.. sucked bad lol.. sloppy sloppy playing, prolly because too much strings lol well he would suck with 6 too=[

Comment

Rusty Cooley can handle an 8 string pretty well.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Better hope he has complete control over the 6 OR 7 string before switching to the 8.. Steve Vai can play a 7 because he dominates on a 6, but I think a lot of people using 7s need to stick to 6 before they move on.. Good example is some guy in my HS who played a $1500 ibanez 7 but.. sucked bad lol.. sloppy sloppy playing, prolly because too much strings lol well he would suck with 6 too=[

[/ QUOTE ]
                Well Dino Cazares probably has the best picking hand among all metal players, at least in my opinion, as far as rhythms are concerned. But for that very reason I think he doesn't need more than 7. 8 is definitely overkill...

Comment

So how are these things tuned? I really fail to see the point of 8 strings if you're only going to use it to replace an already-downtuned 7, 'cos none of these guys ever venture up to the dusty end of the fretboard, do they?

Surely it's not just another gimmick to sell guitars to the easily-led? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Rusty Cooley can handle an 8 string pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rusty Cooley plays it for the higher string also.

I don't see Dino being a virtuoso, who can actually play an 8 string. He's just playing it for the ass low tuning.

Comment

If he only uses it for the extra bottom end, why not detune a 7? Use a long scale 7 string and tune it like a baritone with an extra low string. I'm thinking the 8 is just a gimmick in this case. But I've been wrong before.

Comment

Rusty played a 9 stringer for a short time, but he stopped doing that, meaning: If RC can't play it you can't either so don't bother! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

That is just plain stupid !! [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] Here's an idea ....... How about the bass player and drummer covering the bottom end of a song [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] . It is about the song isn't it ??????? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                          Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

Why don't they all just get basses and distortion pedals? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I mean, if you aren't playing solos or Major chords, just 2 and 3 note 5th chord rhythms, why waste the money on a guitar? Get a 4-string bass, tune it however you want, run it into a Mesa and grind away.

Lemme guess what's coming - twin 6-string bassists instead of guitarists and a Tuba for the bass because it's the only thing that can go lower? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I think Dino would do just fine with only three or four strings. After all, most of the stuff he plays is just banging the low strings in the rhythm of the bass drums. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              -Janne

Comment

Working...
                              X