Line 6 Variax 500 discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 Variax 500 discussion

I've searched the forum and there is very little discussion on any Variax model. I just purchased a 500 and ordered another POD XT Live today. I'll be using the acoustic models to go through a PA for my church band.
    Anyone have experience with the Variax?

Re: Line 6 Variax 500 discussion

I kind of see this guitar and its onboard electronics package as a gimmick. but maybe I'm off target there. I think most people would rather play a better-made and better-looking guitar and just get the Line6 amp or pedal sets for all those effects.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I dont think they are a gimmick. I use the Roland VG8, which utilizes any guitar through a MIDI pickup. It is very useful and there arent any effects that can do the things these will...........

Comment

Its a very popular totally useable guitar. The newer more expensive models are better but the 500 will be perfect for your applications. Personally, I think its a pretty decent guitar and its nice that the 500's are actually affordable now.

Comment

Thanks for your comments guys.
          I was also kind of wondering how a Korean made guitar would compare to what I've played in the past. But, it is a very solid and well-made guitar. I'm impressed with the build quality.
          Also, I wanted to go this direction because I literally cannot stand acoustic guitars any more. I've been through so many in the last year alone and each one had its limitations to me.
          Hopefully, I'll be happy with the Line 6 stuff.

Comment

I've owned 3 Variax's - two 500's and a 700 w/trem. They are very good sounding guitars. I used my 500 on a gig the day after I got it. I just used a Blues Jr. and a handful of pedals. I was getting compliments on my Strat tone from the other guitar player that night - he plays a '64 Strat and a mid 60's Deluxe Reverb.

As for playability, the 500's greatly benefit from a call to Warmoth for a new neck. The 700 was fine.

Most of them have shitty setups so be prepared to spend some time and/or money to get it setup.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I've had my 500 for a little over a week now. I bought it from a local small store and it had a setup done before I got it. What didn't you like about the neck on the 500's Tim?

Comment

the neck on the first 500 I had was decent. it was one of the very first ones. the one i got later was pretty bad - poor fretwork and just never felt right - I couldn't dial that one in. obviously if it's working for you then you are golden.

one thing i never got to check out was the variax workbench since i sold all of mine before that shipped. have you checked it out yet? that feature alone might convince me to snag one again. This time I'd get a 300 and pop this very sweet Warmoth neck I have sitting around on it.

- Newc

Comment

The fretwork on my 500 is actually pretty good, although it could have had some work done at the store I got it at.
                  I highly doubt it though.
                  I intend on checking out the workbench software after I get acquainted with the guitar.

Comment

I had one and sold it because the acoustic models sounded no better then a regular piezo equipped guitar I owned at the time. A dab of reverb and chorus and they all sounded the same except the 12 strings which never did much for me, and I could emulate a decent 12 string in Guitar Rig.

The regular models gave me no "chug" and "weird" harmonics to my ears. Everyone has different mileage and hears it thru different setups however, so your mileage will vary. IT just never met my high gain needs, cleans sounded fine though!

Comment

I have a 500 that I picked up during a GC blowout for $499.99. The tuning was a little unstable, so I replaced the tuners with some of the planet waves auto trim tuners. This made a huge difference in the tuning stability of the guitar.

I agree about the "chug" factor and harmonics. The 500 does classic rock and clean tones well, but I wouldn't want to use it for metal or harder rock tones.

The acoustics sound pretty good recorded-especially if you add some compression to them. I also noticed they sound much better going through a PA system or full range amplifier (like a keyboard amp).

Playability on mine is good for what I paid for it-easily comparable to Fender imports in the same price range. However, as with many imported lines, quality does vary greatly from unit to unit.

All in all, I'm happy with it. It is a cool toy and makes doing some tunes with acoustic intros pretty fun. I don't have the workbench yet, but will probably pick one up soon.

Comment

I bought a 500 scratch and dent last year and then purchased the prototype strat body and a neck from warmoth. I did this because the 500 itself was uninspiring to me.

After I built the warmoth axe I sold the line6 body and neck on ebay so by the time I was done the cost for the electronics were around $300 ...

Chug facter sucks ..I agree with that.. with the workbench you can alternate any aspect of the guitar and even make the pickups hotter, change out capacater values etc. The nice feature which I actually showed Sully over the phone was the alt tuning capabilities. You can have a bank of guitars the go from E,Dropped D,E flat, etc etc ....
                        I
                        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I checked one out at a Music Exchange, the other day. I was really interested in it, but for some reason, I think I'll hold off for now. I'll will eventually get one, just for the curiousity factor.

I think that since this is a fairly new concept type guitar, I'll wait for about 2-3 years to see if improvements are made. It sounds like a cover-music type guitar.
                          Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Re: Line 6 Variax 500 discussion/Warmoth convert

Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Re: Line 6 Variax 500 discussion/Warmoth convert

That is cool Kevin. Gimme. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X