GMP.. What happened??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMP.. What happened??

Spent some time searching archives here but came up with nothing. How did GMP go belly up? It seemed like they had more custom orders than they could handle, their stock was flying off the shelves of their distributors and for the most part had very little competition in terms of custom shop quality. I know it always comes down to money, but what are the details? It is really discouraging to see such an awesome shop go down so hard. I dealt with them through Wild West Guitars for one guitar (and then they were gone) and it was a great experience. Guitar was done close to on time, they kept great communication (I received updates and photos of when the wood was cut, body was assembled, right after paint, etc.), they nailed what I asked for and quality was top notch. It really breaks my heart that an operation like this could fail but something like HHI's bastardized version of BC Rich is going strong. If flooding the market with crappy agathis imports is the only way to survive it is a really sad reflection on the future of guitar making.

Rich

Re: GMP.. What happened??

From what I can tell, they just couldn't produce enough guitars to keep the bills paid....
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

No idea but they did manage to stick around for 14 years. Based on the S/Ns of some of their NAMM stuff that I have they did ~50/year for the first 10 years and ~150/year for the last 4 so one would think that things were just starting to pick up for them. I *think* (but don't know for certain) that the guitar business was a small part of a larger business that failed.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I love my Pawn Shop. Wish they were still being made, as I'd love to order another.

Comment

I think the problem is that they never learned how to do any snazzy finishes or fancy tops.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            No idea but they did manage to stick around for 14 years. Based on the S/Ns of some of their NAMM stuff that I have they did ~50/year for the first 10 years and ~150/year for the last 4 so one would think that things were just starting to pick up for them. I *think* (but don't know for certain) that the guitar business was a small part of a larger business that failed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have the exact serials for each year? I am trying to find out what year mine is.
            Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

I remember when GMP sold off their remaining stock of guitars on ebay. They were also selling expensive classic hot rods and engines and stuff too, right? That stuff will eat up money like nothing I have seen.
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Great.....as if they weren't expensive enough. Now they're gonna sky rocket.

Comment

Being a Ramones fan, this would be a really cool GMP to own even though the finish leaves a lot to be desired! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-RAMONES-GMP-GUIT...1QQcmdZViewItem
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Do you have the exact serials for each year? I am trying to find out what year mine is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Much like C/J back in the day they weren't sequential so the best you can do is guess. E.g., when they went under there were still guitars being worked on that had numbers from the 900s to the 1100s.
                    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

A shame they're gone. Very nice guitars.

Comment

I own a couple of GMP's, great guitars, from what I heard they also made juicers, sold overseas, that division is what I heard brought the accountants in.

Comment

so essentially what it seems from the offered descriptions, is GMP was owned by an entrepreneur who spread himself too thin over more than one ambitious business project.

I hope he makes a comeback of some kind. we need that independent spirit.

I've learned that the saying is true, you have to learn how to fail (sometimes more than once) before you can succeed.
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Never played one, but they were beautiful guitars. It's sad to see any small business, especially one so cool, go under.

Comment

50 a Year? With up to 150 a Year? And you wonder why they went Under, Maybe a Net Profit of a Grand a Guitar.......Uh...That dosen't cover My Mortage.

I know they Used their CNC Machines for other things. Those Guys were the main Dudes at B.C. Rich in the Late 80's. Harvey Beck worked at Jackson too, he kinda took over for Dan when Him and Lee started GMW back in 89'

Comment

Working...
                              X