Ibanez RG520QS review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez RG520QS review

I used to be a huge Ibanez fan. Obtained an '87 RG560 in '88, and still have it. I've also owned RG550s (2 desert yellows!) a 540P (like Alex Skolnick had, w/bensalem neck plate, no SN), a 565DX, another RG550 in black, a 540 (sabre), and a few others.

...this one is the nicest. I'm going to compare it to my RG560 that I kept, all my other Ibani were sold or traded off long ago.

520QS features I preferred:

Mahogany body. Guitar just plain sounds better to me than the basswood 560. I like the top too, even it it's sapele, it looks like quilted maple. Very classy.

Neck w/reinforcement strip. Neck seems much more rigid and stiff. I could/can bend the neck on the 560 while I play it - this neck won't do that as easily. I also think the neck is a tiny bit bigger too, both wider and thicker. Sure feels that way. 560 doesn't have the 'truss rod stripe' along the back.

Neck joint on the 520 is the AANJ - it's rounded and much more friendly to get up on the high notes than on the 560's regular 'squared off' heel.

Pickups on the 520 seem to be improved a bit also over the late 80s 560. I still will probably replace them, but the 520 sounds pretty good for stock.

Trems are the same. One thing I forgot about the edge trems is how much range the fine tuners have, and now smooth they are. Both guitars hold tune perfectly no matter how violent you get with the trem.

Fretwork - the same. Jumbos, great setup, super low action.

Things I don't like about the 520 vs the 560?

520 is a few pounds heavier. Damn you mahogany! It's worth it, but the basswood guitars are more comfortable.

uh... damn, that's about it. From all the RG's I've owned, I prefer this 520 over em all. I played a set and a few songs with it, and it was great. Plus the top looked awesome when the spotlight hit it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

BTW, I also *grimace* prefer this over a lot of the Jacksons I've owned. Flame away...

Re: Ibanez RG520QS review

Post a pic Pete. I don't know much about Ibanez guitars? It's made in Japan?

Comment

I agree 100%. The RG520QS is my favorite RG. I'm in the process of getting mine customized right now. I'll post pics when it's done. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

That's right out of the pawn shop lol, not cleaned up at all. Should have a few gig pics of it soon.

pete

Comment

Mmmm, TK to boot. Excellent.

Btw, some info about Sapele:

It is sonically similar to the mahoganies, Swietenia (the true mahoganies) & Khaya ("African" mahoganies), and is visually similar when unfinished, unlike maple. However, it's only distantly related from a scientific standpoint, tends to have a lot more natural figure (very diverse figuring, as well), and is significantly more durable (it's similar to Oak, as far as strength goes).

It's an excellent wood, and is really starting to catch on in the woodworking world, especially in the fine furniture and cabinetry areas. The only reason some people look down on it is because it's relatively affordable when compared to high-quality maple.

Comment

those are fine guitars and great bargains for what you get. My brother Dave has two, and the root beer stain definitely looks nicer than the blue to me as well. With that mahogany body you've got a million pickups that would sound great in her as well! Let us know what you eventually put in her [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

I am a big Ibanez fan myself. I like that guitar Pete. Its a good one although most of the high end Ibanez guitars are nice.
              I currently play:
              RG7621
              UV7BK
              I am receiving shortly an RBM1 (I have been killing for one of these)
              And hopefully I will be securing a deal for a really nice bone stock S540.
              The only guitars I noticeably play better on are Wolfgangs and Ibanez's. Go figure.

Comment

I think a used 520QS is one of the most absolutely killer guitar deals there is. They sound way better than the basswood RGs, and you can get them for $300.

Comment

I'm a big fan of that model. My local store had two of them new a few years ago, both in trans black (or so the store said), which actually looked more like a brown oiled finish. They were both sweet players. Just didn't want to pay new prices for one [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                  X