Weddington by Yamaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weddington by Yamaha

<font color="aqua">I know a few of you own these so I thought I'd bend your ears about them a bit. I've got the bug for one of these and wanted one badly when they first came out. What's the story on the Weddington classic, is this junk as compared to the Custom? Could you give me specs on this? Thanks for your time - [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Re: Weddington by Yamaha

budman, I had a Classic for a long time and loved it. Mine had two p90's, was white and played like a dream. It was a seriously badass guitar with a gnarly rock n' roll tone.

I still have a Weddington Custom which a girfriend bought for me in 1991. I never play it but won't sell it in case things with my wife don't work out and I need a booty call. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

The Custom is a prettier instrument and appears to be better than the Classic, but I wouldn't say it is better. The biggest thing for me is the humbuckers vs. the p90's - I prefer full size humbuckers.

Any of the three Weddington's are no lose guitars and highly underrated.
    Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Sorry Jimmy, but your memory is failing you on this one. The one you had was a Weddington Special. The Special had a flat top mahogany body, P90s, and no binding, with dot inlays.

The Classic was mahogany body with a super thick (around 3/4") carved maple top, bound body and neck, fancy mother-of-plastic inlays, and Dimarzio humbuckers.

The Custom looked almost identical to the Classic, but had multi-layered body, neck, and headstock binding, real MOP and abalone inlays, and a 5 piece neck rather than 3 piece.

I've never played a Special, but Classics and Customs are AWESOME! If you can get your hands on one, I highly recommend them.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Here is my Classic:

Here is a Custom:

Here's another Custom:

The Customs usually had nicer tops. My Classic ia a prototype, and has a mismatched top.

Comment

My Custom is that color and zeegs, thanks for helping me out there - it was a Special.

These things don't pop up too often, so grab one if you can.
          BTW, two Classics are on ebay, right now. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

I had a Weddington Custom many years ago. Very nice guitar, but it doesn't sound like a Les Paul despite the resemblance. If anything, it's slightly more PRS-sounding, but with a little more top-end. The Customs also have an ebony fretboard, which is nice.

Comment

the weddington's w/ humbuckers are awesome...like a poor man's prs.
              they are very hard to come by and i would definitely pick one up if i saw one.
              however, i found a good alternative in godin lgx models.
              they are every bit as good as the weddington, gibsons and even the prs.
              they sound great and have a piezo bridge if you are into that kind of thing.
              also much cheaper than a gibson/prs.

Comment

<font color="aqua">Thank you for all the info, fellers, it is greatly appreciated. I really do like the Weddington Customs but yes, they don't come up very often do they....May I ask what the neck width is a the nut? </font>
                Dave ->

Comment

I'm gonna guess that the neck width was the same as a Les Paul (whichever width that is...don't really look at that stat)--Not your full shredder width, but not narrow like an old SG, either.

Comment

If you like Dave, I'll check mine when I get home. I'm in a hotel room in Toronto right now at a lame ass conference, but I'll be back tomorrow night.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      If you like Dave, I'll check mine when I get home. I'm in a hotel room in Toronto right now at a lame ass conference, but I'll be back tomorrow night.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">thanks zeegs, that would be great! Have a safe trip home - [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
                      Dave ->

Comment

I had a Weddington special, once I tweaked it out it was a killer guitar. I wish I would have kept it.

The flame top ones are nice, but every one I've tried was heavy as cement.

Comment

just for any one interested in this style instrument

Jason Schroeder builds something similar these days

it's called the Chopper model

ps: check the schroeder forum for more examples

http://www.schroederguitars.com/models_options.shtml

Comment

hmm, those don't happen to be 25.5" scale length, do they?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              hmm, those don't happen to be 25.5" scale length, do they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

Comment

Working...
                              X