What is the ultimate Heavy Metal guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the ultimate Heavy Metal guitar

Jackson RR's are up there, but then there is Les Paul Customs, and Iommi played SG's. I kind of rule out strats, but Blackmore and Hendrix (are they considered metal though?).

Or maybe a single hum strat shape ala EVH?

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what is the ultimate.

Help?

Re: What is the ultimate Heavy Metal guitar

red and white Frankenstrat

Comment

i would depends on the player, me i like a simple 2 hum guitar with a floyd and coil tap switches, but then one of the iron maiden guitarists had that jackson S-Head with all those switches, just depends i guess.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        i would depends on the player, me i like a simple 2 hum guitar with a floyd and coil tap switches, but then one of the iron maiden guitarists had that jackson S-Head with all those switches, just depends i guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one was that? Pic?

I don't think you are talking about Dave Murray's blackie, right?

And to get OT in my own thread, I was going to buy the Iron Maiden Early Years DVD. Anyone have this? Is it worth $20 (WalMart).

Comment

i'm a strat/lp player, but i think Iron Maiden proves that Strats kill for metal.

Comment

Yes, if you like pre Powerslave Maiden, the Early Days DVD is well worth 20 bucks, and I think Siggy is referring to the guitar on the left in this pic:

As for the ultimate HM guitar, I'd rule out Frankie as that's more rock than Metal, and the Maiden guitars are some of my favourites, but look too normal. For the ultimate metal axe, combining image and sound, I'd have to go for a KV....
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              i'm a strat/lp player, but i think Iron Maiden proves that Strats kill for metal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I'm always on the lookout for a black strat / white pickguard / maple neck to chop up.

But do you/can you still call it a strat with a pair of DiMarzio hums in it?

edit: neilli, thanks for the pic. And I don't think there is any Iron Maiden I don't like [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Ultimate Metal Guitar:

V-shaped
                One hum, EMG 81
                Black
                Tremolo
                Pointy headstock

the rest doesn't matter [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I always considered the ESP MII/KH2 a typical metal guitar too.
                "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

That kick ass BC Rich Bich that Joe Perry played was cool as hell too.

Comment

Either Dave's King V, or Jaymez' black ESP Explorer. There is nothing more metal. A Les Paul or Strat can not be the ultimate metal guitar, because both were designed before heavy metal existed. Real metal guitars are pointy.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Either Dave's King V, or Jaymez' black ESP Explorer. There is nothing more metal. A Les Paul or Strat can not be the ultimate metal guitar, because both were designed before heavy metal existed. Real metal guitars are pointy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but in my mind heavy metal was created on an SG, which came before heavy metal. You can't have the chicken before the egg, or is it the egg before the chicken LOL!

Comment

If i were to simply LOOK ata guitar and say which one is metal, any Explorer-ish shape would come to mind first (including Dean NL's and flying Stars), and then the BC Rich Warlock...

Comment

strat, humbuckers, floyd. what else do you need?
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            If i were to simply LOOK ata guitar and say which one is metal, any Explorer-ish shape would come to mind first (including Dean NL's and flying Stars), and then the BC Rich Warlock...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree on the looking part, on the playibility part depends on the guitar and the player. Me i grew up on 80's bands and alot of them had strats or super strats.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              strat, humbuckers, floyd. what else do you need?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea but didn't the guitar player for Loverboy play that exact type of guitar?? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think I am going to change my choice to Tony Iommi's SG.

Comment

Working...
                              X