Am I going insane???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I going insane???

I just went to a local music shop to get my 4 year old son a new guitar. He has an old childrens acoustic that barely plays. I went in looking for a cheap electric being he really doesnt play much, mostly imitates me when I play [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The guy at the store sold me a Squier Strat, one of those smaller sized ones for kids. It only ran $125.00 so what the hell, plus my son loved it being it is red and it looks like Murray's guitar from the Wiggles (the other arents on this board will know what I am talking about).

Anyway, I got home and decided I would tune it up and mess around with it. It is fun as hell to play! It's a cheap guitar, but plays great, I plugged it into my rack and was jamming on old VH and it held up great. Ive never played a Strat before, so I can only imagine those feel 100 times better, but this little Squier plays beeter than allot, and I mean allot, of guitars I have had that cost 10 times as much.

Am I going nuts???? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: Am I going insane???

Post a pic of you playing it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Here's a pic of my son playing it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

He's not actually PLAYING it now is he? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hehe....no, he mostly just strums...I should have said, holding, not playing [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Cool! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Here's me playing it...it is small for me...I had to take the pic myself so it isnt a good one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

for the longest time my main guitar was a squier that i purchased around 1991, the guitar is probaly made of plywood but it just rang out and played awesome. I still use the guitar to this day as my beater guitar and for playing when i dont have an amp because it rings so well.

Comment

Its weird, because I cant put this guitar down,l even though it a cheap POS and probably made of the cheapest material...never tried a real strat, but it's fun....does anyone know if a real strat is good? I'm seriously thinking of picking up a US strat or deluxe...

Comment

Beelzebub plays a Squier?! [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

LOL i just love the pic with the crazy rack setup in the back and the mini size squier with it lol. glad to see your son wants to play though even if it's on a little here and there!

-Mike
                      www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

He loves it...he is a little to young to actually played, but he acts out the faces and jesters when I play King Diamond...its funny ...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          does anyone know if a real strat is good? I'm seriously thinking of picking up a US strat or deluxe...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.... most popular guitar in the world.... Nah, can't be any good. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, you can't go wrong with a Strat. In my opinion Japanese strats are best, American ones are pretty good too. Can't speak for others. Squires are good if you replace the electronics.

I think early Strats are the greatest guitars ever made. I have a '54 Japan re-issue and it is my #1 guitar, bar none. I love all my Charvels, but nothing beats a '54 or '57 Strat to me.

Comment

So, in your opinion, what would be the best strat to buy? I dont know much about them. but should I go for a Malmsteen, a HSS, Mexican, ect.?

Comment

Like any other brand, it depends what you are looking for.

I am only interested in the classics, but sounds like you want a more metal-capable guitar. If you want a Strat shaped guitar with a floating trem and a humbucker, you're better off getting a Charvel/Jackson or any of the other hotrod type guitars. I personally would not buy any Strat that was not standard SSS configuration.

There is a lot of difference between the classics (and re-issues) and the contemporary models. They all look alike at first glance but there are a lot of differences:

Body woods (ash, swamp ash, poplar, cedro, and others),
                              paint (nitro cellulose vs polyurethane), *THIS IS A BIG DEAL* You can't get new guitars with nitro paint. Nitro paint let's the guitar breathe.
                              neck shape (Bat, C, D, V, modern)
                              pickguards (1, 2, 3 ply, type of plastic, number of screws) and
                              tremolos (type and metal)

are all different and affect the tone and feel of the guitar.

My preference is ash body, nitro finish, C neck, 1 ply pickguard, vintage original non-logoed trem, vintage original non-logoed Kluson tuners, and Vintage Noiseless pickups.

My advice is to go a shop that has some older Strats and some newer ones and try them. They'll all look the same from afar, but you'll discover a whole world of difference up close.

Comment

Working...
                              X