Unplugged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unplugged

I use a Dean Key Largo, looks awesome plays well enough. The best acoustic I played may have been a Breedlove, if not it was a small luthier but its was just meticulously designed and I have that guitar to thank for my obsession with Ziricote. This particular acoustic had a Ziricote back, side and fingerboard, what I assume was the standard sprucey top (dunno much about acoustics) and a very unusual quilted sapele neck, which I just recentlu found out is a type of mahogany. Which explains the massive resonance and deep rich tone that guitar had. The irony is I stumbled across this guitar in a small shop in (Williamsburg I think?) and I'm sure it was worth a ton (it had pretty nice inlays too, paua of course and a paua soundhole) but the guy had no problems about letting me play it. I was blown away by the quality of it. I wish I could remember if it was a Breedlove or not, it may have been from a local luthier. Anyways long story short, I told the guy how much I had at the time to spend (about 900) he politely smiled at me, told me to have a nice day. I got the message [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It would be hard to describe just how amazing that guitar looked too. Quilted Sapele (sp?) is every bit as nice as quilted maple if not more so and the ziricote was just stunning as a back/side wood.

Comment

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...24861624LsVRVP

A Gibson Montana-built (out of MIJ parts) Epiphone Souther Jumbo. Only found evidence of one other in the US. All solid woods, proper medium-light build, and great playability.

I have a couple resonators and a cheapo or two lying around, as well.

Next will be an SCGC VJ, a Gallagher 12-fret "Modified" dread, a Greven Prairie State, or a Goodall Concert Jumbo. Extremely tough call.

Comment

A twelve fret is what I would like next. Much bigger sounding for those Celtic passages. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

That Breedlove in the OP is the coolest looking acoustic I've ever seen [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]. I didn't even know such a guitar existed.

This is why I love this site. I've discovered and learnt about more guitars these past few weeks than in my previous 4 years of playing!

For the record, I play a cheap-ish Aria acoustic of some sort in tobacco sunburst. It's nothing great but it's ok for now. It looks better than it plays! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            play a Breedlove C12 for its smaller body and fast, electric style neck (reminiscent of a Taylor), but I would like to add a few more pieces to the arsenal. Let's hear your thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]
            Sheppard guitars makes some killer acoustics, that are not cheap but not much more than Breedlove, in fact probably about the same. They have 3 different sizes with varying cutaways, one is pretty deep like the breedlove allowing for more accesss than you traditionally see on an acoustic. They use fantastic woods and do alot of custom work.
            http://sheppardguitars.com/new_page_12.htm

Comment

Btw, a friend of mine in the ATL area will be hosting a BIG acoustic jam this fall. Hundreds of guitars will be present and waiting to be played, including relatively unknown small builders, big names (Richard Hoover from SCGC has actually attended in the past!), super-high end pieces (there was at least one Olson last year), and vintage pieces (I played a pre-War J-45 that KILLED). Figure I'd let you guys know. It's a ton of fun, and you get to check out tons of things you'd probably never see otherwise.

Here's a link w/ info:

http://www.acousticplayermagazine.co...showtopic=2538

Comment

Working...
              X