1989 Carvin DC125 fully restored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Carvin DC125 fully restored

She was a wreck. Originally blue metallic and shot to crap. She is now enjoying new EVERYTHING!!!All the parts except the trem are straight from Carvin. She plays, sounds and looks outstanding. I finished the body in a light walnut stain and linseed oil. I finished the neck in straight tung oil. Pickups are Carvin C22's. I polished the frets and she is kicking serious a$$.

Re: 1989 Carvin DC125 fully restored

Looks great!
    I love these Jackson pointy headstocks on older Carvin.
    They sure do look great!!
    [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow, that's nice!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

She is a real shredder for sure!!

Comment

Very nice, John. Good work.

Comment

Out of curiosity, why Carvin pickups?

Some oddities... a couple of the mini switches don't look factory. The placement of the tone control makes me think it was installed later, too.
            please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Looks great, John!

Comment

Very nice John she looks great.I have a old pointy Carvin myself that needs a bit of attention.Here is a picture of her next to two newer Bolts.
                Mike
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Actually, your pointy Carvin is a later model. Mine is the 88-89 only when Carvin was sued by Jackson. It doesn't have the little point near the C in Carvin.
                  To answer some questions, this particular DC125 is either an optioned out DC125 or a DC127. The neck pickup route could be a factory add on. The mini-switch holes are certainly aftermarket. Even the tone control may have been added. The reason I went with Carvin pickups is easy.
                  1. I like the way the C22's sound.
                  2. They match the Carvin bezels perfectly.
                  3. I got them on a trade for some mod work I am doing.
                  My pics aren't showing up because my free webhost is maxed out! I hate Onlinerock.

Comment

Model 88, your pointy Carvin was made in '90-91, when they used that headstock and a licensed Floyd, rather than the OFR and Jackson-imitation headstock that came on the '88-89 guitars. Any of the '88-92 shredder-era Carvins are worthwhile guitars. Are those koa sides on that DC145? If so, killer!

Since you have that DC145, you don't need that 750xl in your avatar picture anymore, right? Just give it to me... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Ah, okay. Yeah, I like the C22's, too, but they wouldn't be my first choice of a replacement pickup.

So, somebody on the Carvin board said that Jackson threatened legal action? The story I heard from several people was that they just wanted a more original and distinctive design of their own, and that there never was a threat of being sued by Jackson. These stories were all told by Carvin sales reps, however...
                      please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

I think they got a letter from Jackson but were only threatened legally.

Comment

Lookin' good, John! Glad you could use the pups. Love the black/red zebra strap I sold you awhile ago, too! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Its my favorite strap.

Comment

I'm a fan of the older headstock too!
                              What do you think of the active electronics? Always wanted to look into them but never want to cough up the $

Comment

Working...
                              X