LP vs. ESP Eclipse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LP vs. ESP Eclipse

Lately I've getting tired of having all pointy guitars with floyds so I've been thinking of selling my KV2 to get either an LP or an Eclipse. I don't have much experience with either. Has anyone here compared the two? Opinions please.

Re: LP vs. ESP Eclipse

If you don't mind not having a body contour, the extra weight thicker body, and actually having a better guitar go with an LP. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I will take used LP over a brand new ESP Eclipse every day. It is not like ESP Eclipses are all that cheap.

Comment

The Eclipse is thinner-bodied, has jumbo frets, three or four control knobs depending on the configuration and model... numerous subtle differences.

What Eclipse model are you specifically looking for? There are Standards, Customs, LTD Deluxes, etc. The ORIGINAL Eclipse designation was reserved for Telecaster styles with Jackson-style headstock like Izzy's from Guns N' Roses.

I abandoned my search for an ESP Eclipse II Standard VTB (satin/vintage black) and got myself a different kind of ESP... one imported from Japan and an ultra-convincing clone of a '68 Les Paul Custom for much less money than an Eclipse II. It satiated my Les Paul GAS more than I expected and I think that if I had bought an Eclipse instead, I'd still be looking for a more "authentic" Les Paul.

If you do want to entertain the thought of buying a Japanese Les Paul, go see MichaelMadeja's topic in the Efraid section called "This baffles me" and look for the second reply I made there linking to an Orville By Gibson LP Custom I was thinking of BIN-hitting earlier this afternoon. That'll probably be the most Les Paul Custom you can get without buying an actual Gibson LPC, even with the $100+ shipping to North America.

Comment

Then you have someone like me, who thinks Gibson is junk I have had both. You can get a brand new ESP that will be a fine guitar. Or you can pay way too much for what you get Gibson, and have to try a bunch to find one that wouldn't be considered a reject by any other manufacturer.
        Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

Wow, I dunno. After owning and currently owning some nice LP's I would disagree. I ordered an Eclipse II to see what the hype was all about. The guitar never left my office, was turned back around the same day it arrived. Maybe a "value for the money" thing, but nowhere near the neighborhood of a nice les paul.

Shawn
          Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

I have a 2002 LP standard and an ESP Eclipse: IMO the ESP sort of looks like an LP, but feels like a superstrat (apart from the bridge). The ESP feels really nice and sounds great, but for whatever reason I never pick it up, so I have a feeling it'll be in my list of guitars to dispose of soon...
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I've played the LTD Eclipses in the store. Though they look a little like an LP, they don't feel or sound at all like a LP. Not necessarily better or worse, just a lot different. I recommend trying them out side-by-side--if you prefer shredder guitars, you might actually like the Eclipse better, since it has jumbo frets and better high fret access. But make sure to try out the real ESP version to compare, not the cheezoid LTDs.

Comment

I would choose a Gibson LP over an Eclipse, which are no bargain themselfs to start with.
                So start with the Gibson, and if you don't like it, you'll get (certainly the most of) your money back and still can spend it on an ESP [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

If you take your time and a find a good Les Paul, it'll last you a lifetime, I doubt the ESP would do the same.
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

You already know my answer [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      After owning and currently owning some nice LP's I would disagree. Maybe a "value for the money" thing, but nowhere near the neighborhood of a nice les paul.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those two sentences sum things up nicely.
                      "POOP"

Comment

There's a pretty big difference in those two guitars!

The ESP is a Superstrat shaped like a Les Paul.
                        The Les Paul...is a Les Paul. 'Nuff said!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          The Les Paul...is a Les Paul. 'Nuff said!

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Hope this helps: [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Crusher - holy sh*t!!!

F'in beautiful, dude!!!

THAT is a mighty impressive lineup...

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X