Speaking of EBMMs, Petrucci fans, i ask for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of EBMMs, Petrucci fans, i ask for review

I'm not sure how i'm liking how my Eclipse fits me as a player, and i was thinking about a Petrucci model.

any reviews? How's the neck profile and everything? All that jazz...thanks zyx345 for sparking my post [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

any responses would be mad appreciated!

Re: Speaking of EBMMs, Petrucci fans, i ask for re

The JP has an asymmetrical neck, to John's specs. I've played one in town and the neck was extremely comfortable. The armcontour and the backcontour were very very ergonomical as well! The trem is great and is adapted to (john's) hand, so the saddles are shaped like the side of your palm for when your muting or resting your hand on the bridge. The Dimarzio's are nice and deliver a good array of tones especially with all the different controls and control options.

Eventhough it's from basswood, which some people seem to dismiss as cheap budget-guitar wood (which it's NOT), it sounds damn nice both acoustic and plugged.

New they're quite expensive (still worth the price imho!) If you can pick up a used one in good condition that's a winwin situation.

Most comfortable guitar I've ever layed hands on (not that I've touched that many guitars, though).
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

whats the pricing like new? (if i'm allowed to ask that on the board)

any other takers for reviews? it would be muuuuuch appreciateeeeeddd! lol.

Comment

I've only played them in stores--never owned one--but here are my impressions.

I agree that the neck is incredibly comfortable. Maybe the best-shaped shredder neck ever. I would describe the profile as being rounder than the Ibanez Wizard neck, but with a very "complex" feel that seems to fit your hand perfectly. Sort of difficult to describe. However, the fretwire is not as big as you'd find on most Jacksons. Obviously, that's the way Petrucci likes it, but I prefer the big 6100 frets, myself.

All of the ones I've played had a very nice, even tone. Much livelier than most basswood Ibanezes that I've played. However, like all basswood guitars, the sound lacks a certain edge or "snap". You can really sing with this guitar, but it's not as good for rhythm playing, or for those who prefer a more stinging lead sound.

The tremolo stays in tune very well (unless you go into Vai-like histrionics with it), and it has incredibly smooth action. An excellent design.

All of the JPs I've seen are finished beautifully and have the most stunningly beautiful birds-eye maple necks. The gunstock oil finish on the neck feels superb--I wish more guitars were done this way.

The thing I most hate about the JP is that it has the pickup switch positioned right below where you place your picking hand. That's great for very quick 'on-the-fly' switching, but you can't really strum the guitar without hitting the damned switch by accident. EVH seems to like this positioning as well, but I most certainly don't--I have never found the conventional strat-type switch placement to be awkward or difficult to reach. But hey, this guitar was made to Petrucci's specs, not mine.

Bottom line--I think anyone considering an Ibanez JEM should try out a JP first. They are comparably priced, and I think the JP is a much higher-quality instrument, albeit with a few quirks that some folks might not like.

Comment

aww man! comparably priced? so we're talking around $2K for a petrucci? eh, expensive bugger...

Comment

$2000? The standard ones are around $1300, and an extra $200 gets you that bitchin' flip flop finish.

One of the best playing guitars that I'd never want to own. I absolutely hate the sound it makes, I am just not a fan of basswood at all. The neck is amazing, though.

Comment

haha, you're awesome noodles. great post!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                $2000? The standard ones are around $1300, and an extra $200 gets you that bitchin' flip flop finish.

One of the best playing guitars that I'd never want to own. I absolutely hate the sound it makes, I am just not a fan of basswood at all. The neck is amazing, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

The seven string actually plays better than the six, IMO, but I have the same problem you do - they sound lifeless to me, in both versions. They sure do play nice, though...
                Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I'd really love to get one of the 7-strings... except for the fact I also don't care for basswood!
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I'd really love to get one of the 7-strings... except for the fact I also don't care for basswood!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it was a hell of a player. Sounded just like Petrucci through a Mesa, which, of course, does me no good, but is great for him. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

LOL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I had 6string one when it came out.
                        I was never able to get used to that neck shape.
                        [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Having owned quite a few EBMM's at the time this guitar was released, I was excited to try it...until I tried one. lol

I didn't like the sound, and the two that I took home to test out would not stay in tune. Maybe I was too macho for that neck, but it wobbled like a drunken stripper everytime I dug in. The necks were incredible to the touch, like all EBMM, but that was the only feature I liked.
                          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Yeah I loved my EBMM and it wasn't the perfect tone of a guitar but it pl;ayed amazingly...The pickups sounded great though that I can atest too espescially through Boogies (go figure). It just plays so well.. I would love to see that in Alder or better yet Mahog/Maple
                            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

damn. I wish i could try one but there isn;t one around me...

maybe i should think about a luke...

too bad about it not sounding more alive...but i really like Petrucci's live tone...

eh, decisions...

Comment

Working...
                              X