Westbury's.....Wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westbury's.....Wow!

Played a Westbury Performer and a Westbury Custom thru my Marshall. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] Both sounded teriific. Anyone ever play one of these guitar's or have any info on them?
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Re: Westbury\'s.....Wow!

i've known the name but never played one. i'll believe you
    anytime don.
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

They're heavy like a LP. The body looks like it's a solid piece of wood, carved around the outer part of the body. I was suprised at it's sound. Here's a picture of it I found on the web.

Custom: http://www.univox.org/pics/guitars/w...om_walnut2.jpg

Performer: http://www.westburyguitars.com/image...-performer.jpg

Comment

the custom looks like a gunboat that would sound great. like a yamaha that the dude in triumph played or something.

Comment

<font color="aqua">I have a modded Westbury Standard I've had since I was about 15 (38 now)and I've done alot of experimenting with this guitar and it has stood the test of time. It's solid Mahogany with a set neck and it's been, scalloped, repainted, wiring is like a 3 pickup les paul with a coil tap, and has Dimarzios in it. This is how it sits now:

Sh'e not the prettiest thing anymore but still sounds like a million bucks. Definitely an under-rated guitar. </font>
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

That's a beauty. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] It feels comfortable to play and sounds great to me. I would have a problem with the strap nut on the back of the guitar though,

Comment

i never liked scallopped necks, i guess that's cuz i would only play them for about a minute and say what the fukk?

Comment

I've never tried a scalloped neck.

Budman- did you do it yourself?

Comment

I remember these guitars. I believe they are Matsumoku plant manufactured in Japan as were Univox/Korg, which was their parent company it seems.

That is an odd looking tailpiece but the body shape is very similar to an Westone/Electra Spectrum save for the headstock. The headstock is similar to other Matsumoku brands, but logo looks more like a Daion.

Comment

<font color="aqua">Yes, I did do the scalloping myself, I used a rasp the rough everything out then switched to finer grit papers using my deep sockets from my ratchet set to get the proper radii.

Tom, yes, it's a very odd tailpiece as it's covering a trem route that was also modded into the body at one time. This baby has seen it all! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
                    Dave ->

Comment

My best friend had a Westbury Standard back in the 80s and recently got another for nostalgia. They really are very nice guitars!
                      He had a b!ichin' O'Hagan all-maple Flying V back then too, don't see those much either.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Yes, I did do the scalloping myself, I used a rasp the rough everything out then switched to finer grit papers using my deep sockets from my ratchet set to get the proper radii.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a Yamaha Pacifica I may tried to do that to. I don't think I'll do it to the Westburys'. How'd you do it?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]
                          Yes, I did do the scalloping myself, I used a rasp the rough everything out then switched to finer grit papers using my deep sockets from my ratchet set to get the proper radii.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a Yamaha Pacifica I may tried to do that to. I don't think I'll do it to the Westburys'. How'd you do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">umm, I'm not sure I understand, I just told you how I did it, possibly I'm missing something? (although I see I should have said "to" when I said "the" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) </font>
                          Dave ->

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            umm, I'm not sure I understand, I just told you how I did it, possibly I'm missing something? (although I see I should have said "to" when I said "the" )

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                            [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] How'd I miss it

Comment

<font color="aqua"> [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] don't worry, I've done that too [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
                              Dave ->

Comment

Working...
                              X