Identity Crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identity Crisis

Help identify this Epi Les Paul ser. No S93093261. I think it goes like this "YDDDYPPP" but I am not sure what the "S" stands for.
    My deduction would be Year-1993, 309th day of the year, plant code etc 261.
    Also any idea what this might be worth???? Its in fair shape
    sunburst finish (a little dirty) but only minor dings etc...

any and all help appreciated

Re: Identity Crisis

Samick stamps their contracted guitars with an S if they were built in their Korean factory........
    If it follows other Samick serials the first 2 digits are the year.........

Comment

I think I knew Samick and Gibson were affiliated but if they were makeing guitars for Gibson would they not still follow the Gibson serial number system (such as it is)??

My bosses son is trying to sell me this guitar and was just trying to get info on what it may be worth and thought someone here may have some kind of info that would put a value on it.
      I guess ether way it would be a "93" model ??

Comment

Samick builds guitars for alot of companies. They are not affiliated with Gibson in any way. I figure it is the Samick system given the fact that the S prefix was used.....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Help identify this Epi Les Paul ser. No S93093261. I think it goes like this "YDDDYPPP" but I am not sure what the "S" stands for.
          My deduction would be Year-1993, 309th day of the year, plant code etc 261.
          Also any idea what this might be worth???? Its in fair shape
          sunburst finish (a little dirty) but only minor dings etc...

any and all help appreciated

[/ QUOTE ]

Breaking down your serial number, I believe it goes like this:

S=Samick factory in Korea
          93=Year manufactured
          09=Month manufactured
          3261=Production sequence number
          My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

As far as identifying the guitar further, would help to have a detailed description. A quick check of the blue-book of guitars shows not many versions made back in '93. They list a LP Standard with white pickguard and trapazoid inlays & chrome hardware that's worth $330 in 80% (very good) condition, and a LP Custom with black pickguard and block inlay & gold hardware that's worth $325 in 80% condition.

I'd look at ebay to see the going rate for something similar to the guitar you're thinking of. New Epi LP Customs go for $599.99 on AMS. click here for website

So after all the above...I'd say the guitar you're looking at should sell for somewhere between $225 and $300.

Have you played it yet? Make sure the neck is straight, the frets in good shape, and the action and intonation are right.

Comment

Samick is the largest guiatr manufacturer in the world. They do contractual work for almost everybody from Gibson, to ESP, to Washburn and on occassion Fender. Although most overseas Fenders are done by Cort. (ie Squier). Anyway. from my experience with Epiphone the S is for Samick and the first digit is the year it was made. (ie S9xxxxxxx would be 1999). Gibson has eledgedly set up an Epiphone plant in china and making thier own stuff now. But as for value. If it is a '99 it would be worth about 250-350 for a std and 300-400 for a custom depending on condition.
              Gil

Comment

Thanks for the info

I will try to get a better look at it today and maybe some pics

Thanks again

Comment

Oh. I saw the title of the topic and thought you guys were talking about the comic series "Identity Crisis" from last year. Silly me.
                  I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

I checked the guitar out again today.

It seems to be just fine, Dirty and a few chips and dings etc...

It has Made in Korea on the back of the headstock and has a sticker on the body at the base of the neck "LP STD.HB"

Anyone have any further thouhgts ???

Comment

Epiphone Les Paul Standard in Honey Burst finish.
                      From the blue book: "Les Paul Standard (model ENS-) Les Paul-style single cutaway mahogany body, figured maple top, raised white pickguard, set-in mahogany neck, 22 fret bound rosewood fingerboard with trapezoid inlay, tune-o-matic bridge/stop tailpiece, unbound peghead, 3-per side tuners, chrome hardware, 2 humbuckers, 2 volume/2 tone controls, 3-way toggle switch, mfg 1989 to current, available in Ebony finish (add $80 for Heritage Cherry Sunburst and Honey Burst finishes).
                      MSR $831 100% mint = $499, 98%= 425, 95%= $395, 90%= $375, 80%= $330, 70%= (very good cond) $300, 60%= $270"

So how does it play and how much is he asking???

Comment

Damn MD "THANKS"

I guess I can't ask for much more info than that!!!!!

He hasn't put a price on it but he keeps dropping hints he wants to sell.
                        It plays well enough (not that I am much of a player) it feels good and I thint with a good cleaning it may be a keeper....... for the right price.

Pic of the worst damage, has a few other dings etc.. Note somthing sticky on body appears it will clean up.

Pic of headstock

Comment

Well I did it !!!!!

I bought it $300.00, now I think I want to change pickups.

Any suggestions from the gallery ????????

Comment

While we are at it!!!!

Can Someone tell me about this never seen one like this before

Gibson LesPaul

Serial number is "2 6959"
                            It has what appears to be bad spots in the finish.
                            On the headstock both sides like it was hug with wet paint

and a 4 inch long spot along the binding that is miscolored ????

Comment

Working...
                            X