What would you do.....I think I found my LPC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do.....I think I found my LPC

Ok, I posted in the classifieds looking for a LPC. I mentioned that I would love to find a 90 limited colours trans white, but that would be next to impossible. Well, one just showed up on eBay. here's the deal...

start bid - 1500(no reserve)
    BIN - 2200
    pickups have been changed to b/w zebras with white rings. There are a few small "dents" on the back of the neck other than that, the guitar is pretty damn clean. Here's the kicker, the seller has only 1 feedback, member since Dec 03 and the he's in Ft. Lauderdale, FLA. I've corresponded with him a couple of times and he seems cool, but I don't know. 1 feedback(positive and no negative?

Here's my quandry. I only set out to spend 2000. I really don't think that the guitar is worth more than 1800-2000 tops. Do I go for it and take the hit for a guitar that I may never see again? Should I wait and see how the bidding goes and maybe get it in my price range(and risk losing it)? should I forget the whole thing due to the 1 feedback seller? I really don't know what to do on this one.

[img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

While I think it's priced too high, this is THE one. Ever been there before?

What would you do?
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Re: What would you do.....I think I found my LPC

Best thing you should do it to back dooor it with $1500+ shipping and tell the guy you have the money ready.
    I know you wanted this guitar for a long time so there is no reason to pas it if you could get it for less than what you are willing to pay for it.

Another thing you should do is since he has only 1 feedback, you should get his phone # and call him.
    And ask if he has any references of dealing with other people on internet such as selling stuff on Harmony Central.

Comment

Maybe beg Drake / Chuk to drive up from Miami, if having someone on hand would help. I'd offer to, but I don't see me being able to make the 2 hour each way trip anytime soon. Maybe Chuk knows someone reliable to check it out, if that would help any.

If I were you, I don't know what I'd do - but I would NOT blow him off just because of the 1 feedback. Not if this is The One. Maybe offer 1800, and see what happens, maybe negotiate up to your cap if he's willing to play. If not, either risk bidding or just suck it up and hit the BIN.

How many in that finish are there?

Good luck, keep us posted.
      Keith
      The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

ide ask him if he would be willing to lower the BIN. this way its still an EBAY contract. you can still use paypal/CC which sometimes will cover your ass if something does go wrong. it also may help to get a phone#, do a reverse lookup & make sure the # & name.address & everything checks out. i know when i had low+ feedback i had trouble selling some higher end guitars, we all have to start somewhere.

it also depends on how bad you want it & how rare it is. i know ive spent more than i really wanted to buy rare guitars, it kinda sucks but i had to have it.

Comment

I get a good feeling from him just from his e-mails, but I would talk to him by phone before making any kind of deal. He accepts paypal and Western Union only, so I'd go the paypal route to get protection there.

I'm not sure it's worth it for me to spend the 2200 on it. I tried to think what I would do if it were a 300 pos feedback seller and I still don't think I would do it. I could throw in the minimum bid to make the BIN go away. I don't think anyone would hit it, but just to make sure. Then I'll watch it and I think I would go up to 2000 on it. I can't imagine the bidding going that high due to his limited feedback, but thats the chance I'm willing to take.

"How many in that finish are there?"

I believe that the Limited Colours series was 150 guitars per color. There were Standards and Customs. I think these guitars get confused with historics and custom shops. I saw one on ebay a while ago in Europe for 3600 american. It didn't sell. Rare? yes 150 is rare, but it's only a different finish on a Standard or a Custom. I nosed around a little on the Les Paul forum and the consensus from the few responses I got over there was that these shouldn't be that much more than a custom or a standadrd from that same year. Maybe a little.

I'll see how I feel in the morning. Would I be that upset with a run of the mill Wine Red or Alpine White Custom? not that much.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Check this out. He's got one pos feedback only. Look at all the stuff he has listed right now? What do you all make of that? maybe I'm just thinking about this too much. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

guitardok's auctions

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              maybe I'm just thinking about this too much. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

guitardok's auctions

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably. Never hurts to be cautious, but it sounds like you've done the usual stuff (talked to him by email, and would call him first before spending, using Paypal, etc.) to be careful. I mean, it isn't like he wants you to send him cash wrapped in a newspaper or anything.

I really like your idea to bid and make the BIN go away. This does a lot of things for you, I think: it shows him you're serious, it puts you in the running to own it, it avoids someone else hitting it, and it doesn't hurt you in any way that I can think of.

From his ID, it sounds like maybe he is a repair shop or maybe a real Doc? Do you already have a first and last name for him?

Keith

Comment

Oh, I see that he has "ID Verified" too with Ebay.

Comment

You bid! I just emailed him a question about the different zip codes.

Comment

yeah I put in the minimum. I emailed him and gave him my number and asked for his. I offered to call to save him the LD, but gave him the option to call me if he wanted to. It would be great to score this, but we'll see what happens.

Thanks Kieth!

What was the deal with the zip? That is Ft Laurderdale isn't it?

Comment

No biggie on the zip, just gave me an excuse to email him. The listing says shipping from one zip, the payment instructions have a different one - and some of his other auctions have the same zip in the text as the payment instructions, so that ruled out that he forgot to change it in the payment instructions. Just curious why, that's all, no big deal.

Hope she ends up with you, bro. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] My fingers are crossed. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Keith

Comment

Some rich people who own expensive guitars just don't do E-bay as often as we do [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        E-bay is not everybody's thing so I can imagine all the sudden he discovered it and started to use it full.
                        I at least know many people from other forums and they just don't use E-bay.

Jim, You shoudl ask him where he used to sell his gear before E-bay.

Comment

One thing - all the items would seem to be in possession of the same person, as the tile floor seems to be consistent. Not much to go on, but...
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Looks almost like someone getting a divorce or getting ready to buy a house, or maybe a little one arrived? Just speculating.

BTW: That LPC is very very cool, I can see why you are in the bind that you are in. I hope it works out.
                            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Take a look at the (crappy)pic of the back of the headstock. He said that the hardware was replaced with Gibson hardware, but he is including all of the original hardware with the auction. Looks like the low E tuner is mounted crooked. I bet the mounting screw broke off at the head and he had to drill a hole next to it. I've asked for more pics of the back of the headstock. Lets see if he's willing to take anymore pics. I'm glad I didn't hit the BIN for $2200. I would have paid that in a snap if it had no issues, but that just seems like too much for this guitar even though it's my Hope diamond (well a rough Hope Diamond) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X