Feedback on JEM7VWH ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback on JEM7VWH ?

After owning 11 SL2H's and 1 SL1 and still do I've decided to take a good hard look at the JEM7VWH for a change. Just need some input from anyone who've played, owned, or come across this particular model as far as playability, reliability, and just overall opinion. Pretty pricey for a Japanese made guitar so I just want to get as much input as I can before making my final decision. Thank you very much in advance.
    "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Re: Feedback on JEM7VWH ?

Ibanez Jems are great guitar just a little overprice. If you really want one, try finding used ones.

My two cents
    Fong

Comment

Thanks for your input, Fong! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Ibanez Jems are great guitar just a little overprice. If you really want one, try finding used ones.

My two cents
        Fong

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I played one in my Guitar Center of all places, and it was really nice. But I don't think it's worth more than a USA Soloist as the price suggests.

Comment

I went through the same thought process you're going through now, and finally made the leap and got a used Jem 7VWH within the past couple of months. It has been a revelation for me.

I've had many Jacksons over the years, and have always considered the Soloist to be the gold standard for super Strats. I never owned an Ibanez before, and always thought Jems were overpriced compared to USA Soloists. I still love Soloists and think that a USA Soloist offers nice bang for the buck, however . . .

The Jem is a worthy adversary, and some of Ibanez' innovations are equal to or better than Jackson's more traditional ideas, IMO. A couple examples: Ibanez' All Access Neck Joint (AANJ) offers upper fret access that is equivalent to any of my neck-throughs (Jackson's bolt-on joint does not compare), plus the neck has a satin finish, which feels faster than the gloss finish on my neck-throughs. The Ibanez output jack makes much more sense than the traditional jack placement that my Jacksons have. It seems that Ibanez has done a nice job with their version of the Floyd Rose, too (I don't like it better than my OFRs, but probably just as much).

I never expected this, but at this point, I'd rather play my Jem than my Soloists. It feels amazingly comfortable to me, and always inspires me to play. The neck's satin finish is a big step up, and its thinner profile is great. It also has its share of fun details, e.g., the monkey grip, scalloped fretboard, vine inlay, etc. The DiMarzio Evolution is a nice pickup, too.

Bottom line: My Jem is equal to any of my Jackson's, IMO, and for me, more inviting to play. I'd say go for it. Even if you don't love it as much as I do, you'll find it is in the same league as what you're used to. I think the pre-2004 7VWH is the best Jem to get, as it has an alder body and an ebony fretboard. Good luck with prices. People don't let these go for cheap - and I now know why.

Comment

the Ibanez Jem7Vwh is a truly outstanding guitar. Pricey? Yep. Score one used.

Comment

I totally agree with everything quiksilver had to say, except about the Evo's. I just can't stand those pickups, totally harsh to my ear and no good clean sounds at all. The Breed pickups are way more suitable for all around playing, very close to the Tone Zone and PAF Pro combo.

Comment

The Jem7VWH is a great guitar but play one before you buy if you can. I'm with BTB (a cool-looking Jem from the 90s btw) about the pups. And I think the neck is better suited for people with larger hands (like Vai). But play one for yourself and decide.
                Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Thank you very much thetroy, quiksilver, jgcable, BTB007, and jwoods986 for all your input and help. I feel now that I can make a wise and unbiased decision based on all your inputs. Once again I'm forever grateful! This forum has the most experienced and knowledgeable members bar none! And I was a little skeptical that I'd get slammed for bringing up an Ibanez related question. Stupidity on my part. I will now read NOTP's guide to posting pics so I can post pics of her. Cheers! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

The JEM7VSBL is great too... SLIGHTLY warmer tone than the 7WH due to a rosewood board instead of the ebony. I prefer it. Good luck with your search always wanted a JEM myself and got one a year ago.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Before I became a Soloist freak, I played Ibanez Jems and Universes. My main guitar was an Jem7VWH and I loved it. The AANJ is one of the best neck joints in the business. The tones that the guitar could put out were very diverse, which is what I like. It could sound similar to my SRV Strat and just as easily sound like Petrucci's Ibanez JPMs. The workmanship on mine was excellent, except for the fretowrk, which needed some work. I think that they are definitely priced a bit too high but I paid 1500 for mine brand new in 95. Used is the way to go.
                      Personally, I like the way an SL1 feels and sounds over the Jem7VWH but that's strictly an opinion. To me they are the same as far as quality and both designed to do the same thing. Soloists are easier to play fast, IMO.

Comment

I think you can play more "expressively" on a JEM than on a Soloist, but the overall sound is much deeper and richer on a Soloist. JEMs have a tendency to be a bit thin-sounding, in my experience, but they seem more sensitive to the nuances in your playing than most other guitars--which is great for doing a lot of the subtle phrasing things that Vai does. But wow, any sloppiness or indecision in your playing seems to get magnified 100% when you play a JEM.

Just my opinion on all this, though.

Also, you'd probably better off looking for a pre-2003 JEM7vwh, which will have the ebony fretboard and the superior LoPro Edge trem, which is better than the trem that Ibanez is currently using, called the Edge Pro.

Comment

I just bought a used JEM 7VWH from Shawn (not Lutz) back in December, and I love the way it plays. I had owned an RG 550 about 15 years ago, and have wanted another Ibanez since selling it. The RG played fast, and the Vai plays just as, if not faster. I did get to play one at GC a week or so before, so I would recommend doing that first, so you know what you are getting. Like Pro-Fusion said, I would go with the ebony fretboard. Mine is a 1999. I don't own a soloist to give you a comparison, but I've been playing long enough to know what I like, and what is good. The Jem 7VWH is definitely good.
                          www.reverbnation.com/rokhollywood

www.facebook.com/Rok Hollywood

www.facebook.com/rokhollywood2

www.facebook.com/RokHollywoodFans

Comment

Thanks Hollywood! I really appreciate all the feedback. Great crowd here!!

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. Get a pre-2003 one with the ebony board and better trem.

I had a 7VSBL too, but thought it was a little too plain looking for a Jem. A nice guitar but I sold it.
                              Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Working...
                              X