GMP Mini-Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMP Mini-Review

I hate writing reviews but Tom asked me to say a few words about this one when it showed up so here goes.

Basically it's a full-sized, chambered, P-90 equipped, archtop singlecut Les Paul. The back is 1/2" mahogany and the top is 3/4" maple, the chamber is about 1" deep throughout. They left quite a bit of wood around the bridge pup cavity but interestingly they didn't leave any under the tailpiece and the inserts pass all the way through the top. Even though it's chambered it's a fairly heavy guitar, easily a couple of pounds or more heavier than any Jackson I own other than the Roswell.

The neck is mahogany and has a rounded profile. It's fairly thin as necks on Les Paul style guitars go, the thickness is very similar to the SLATQM I just picked up but the profile is a little more rounded. The board is ebony with abalone inlays. The action is a little high by Jackson standards but pretty good by normal standards and very playable. The fretwork is very nice, the overall feel is very smooth. Not an effortless player but the strings seemed heavier than the 10s I normally use so perhaps that'll change a bit when I get them changed out. The G & B strings were binding a bit at the nut probably due to the heavy string guage but I'll attend to that soon.

The pups are custom Seymour Duncan P-90s hand wound by the man himself. I just spent about a half an hour with it plugged into the Vetta and I like 'em but I'm very obviously going to have to tailor some patches for this guitar. The bridge pup is very raw, kind of like a Strat on roids but without the glassiness of bride S/C. The neck pup is much smoother and warmer as you'd expect but still has that great raw sound (Santana and Brian May tones were pretty easy to get). Very quiet on clean & moderately overdriven patches but the noise rises exponentially on some higher gain stuff, so much so that it's unusable on some extremely high gain patches but that's about what I expected of these pups.

Hmmm, what else can I say? This was a Winter NAMM '01 guitar, if anyone has pics of it there I'd love to see them. Those are probably two of the most obnoxious colors I've ever seen on a guitar but they don't photograph well. Both main colors are richer than the pics show, the green is a shade darker than it appears, and the orange is brigher and less washed-out looking. A few small gripes (most visible in the pics below): there are a few gaps in the filler around some of the inlays, a very small paint bubble or two along the neck joint, the large control cover is flush with the body on one side but just a little raised on the other, and they painted conductive paint over only the areas where wiring runs rather than doing the whole surface as is necessary to really shield the guitar. There are some nice little touches like the abalone markers on the binding. Overall I'm very happy with it, probably a keeper and definitely one I'd buy again.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Re: GMP Mini-Review

<font color="aqua">What a great guitar bro! Someday I'm gonna get me one of them thar GMWs too [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, it's a great axe! Congrats- [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I'll continue to be a little distracted for about the next 3 1/2 weeks. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I think this is one of the coolest GMPs I have ever seen!
        And I love the color/graphic!
        Congrats once again Brad!

Comment

wow that is a hellofa cool guitar...congrats.
          www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
          My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Thanks for the review and the close up pics. I really love that finish...both the graphic and the colors.

You gotta hand it to GMP...they put the flash back in rock n roll. Nobody's guitars look as outrageous.

Awesome score, bro. I'm first in line if you ever tire of it. (Like that's gonna happen.)

Comment

Very beautiful!

Love the TikiHead!
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Thanks guys! Quick update: as expected, a string change and a big of 400-grit applied to the nut slots fixed the binding issue so all's well there. The sustain is amazing, even on clean patches with the noise gate dropped out the notes just seem to ring out forever. At this point the clean tones from this guitar are head-and-shoulders above the rest, the more gain I add the less I like the sound but that'll probably change when I dial in some new patches. Another nice touch I forgot to mention: the cavity covers aren't attached with wood screws, they're attached with little bolts that thread into metal inserts in the body. I got a shot that on my crappy monitor looks to be pretty close to the actual color:

Overall I still like it a lot. I'm sure this won't be my last GMP. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

That guitar phukin smokes!!! Awesome [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

drop dead gorgeous [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
                    now resize those pics please! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

- Rune.

Comment

Start --&gt; Settings --&gt; Control Panel --&gt; Display --&gt; Settings --&gt; Screen Area --&gt; 1600 x 1200 --&gt; Apply --&gt; OK

There ya go, all nice &amp; resized to fit your screen. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

hahaha. bastard! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X