Just scored a Gibson SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just scored a Gibson SG

A couple weeks back I traded a guy a Variax 500 for a late 60's Fender Deluxe Reverb. The amp came and the tremolo didn't work. So I took it a local tech/small dealer for service. Well, after he wrote it up I started playing guitars he had on the wall and fell in love with this SG Classic. I jokingly asked if he'd trade for the amp and he thought about it for a minute and said sure. The amp is definitely worth more than the guitar but I got way more for the Variax than it was worth so I figured what the heck - I didn't need another amp anyhow and I've never owned an SG. It's really cool. Great neck shape, binding over the frets, great sustain, and 2 P-90's.

A few more pics here: http://hackolutions.com/gear/current...nsgclassic.htm

I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Re: Just scored a Gibson SG

Looks to be in fantastic condition Tim..... What year model is it? I'd make that trade too..... [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

It's a 2002 Classic. It is in excellent condition.

- Newc

Comment

thats awesome bro! i hear those are hard to come by...i've looked and came to the same conclusion! haha

Comment

Wow, total "early Iommi" going on there!! Nice score.

Comment

Sweet!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I love P-90s. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Wow, total "early Iommi" going on there!! Nice score.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read somwhere that is old SG has Filtertrons or something like that in it. When I saw Sabbath at Ozzfest back in July Tony played that old guitar and it definitely had some sort of oddball pickup in it that fit in a P-90 route. Any ideas?

- Newc

Comment

Those were John Birch pickups. Apparently an eccentric old guitar builder that Tony employed to build him 24 fret SGs back in the day. They looked like a cross between a filtertron and a P-90, black and chrome weirdness. If you've heard Live at Last, you know they're also microphonic as hell.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

Hmm...I don't want microphonic - guess I'll just stick with these for now. Filtertrons are very cool though - I wonder if they'll fit...

- Newc

Comment

I dont think they will, filtertrons are pretty much the same size as full size hums. also are thos p90's or p100s, same look but the p100 is a stacked hum cancelling pickup, & requires more of a route underneath the pickup. a gretsch hi/lo tron may fit in a p90 route but they are also just a big single coil.

Comment

yea Iommi's "whatever:" pickups are humbucker routed. strange, i thought iommi said he got John birch to make him humbuckers, and the ones dropped in his look like SD Phat Cats...single coiled hum-sizers!

Comment

Before he got the Birch pickups, his SG Special had P90s--I think that the first two Sabbath albums had P90s, although he might have had Birch pickups by the time Paranoid was recorded--I'm not quite sure.

I would guess the original Birch pickups were designed to fit into a P90 slot. Believe it or not, all of that feedback on Live At Last was an *improvement* over what he had to deal with before he got the Birch pickups. Remember, he was using mega-distortion through a treble booster before the invention of the noise gate. I had the same problem when I used a distortion pedal as a kid in the '80s before I knew about noise gates.

Comment

The SG is one of my all time favorite guitars. I have 2 and want at least 2 more LOL. How do you like the p-90's?
                          "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

The P-90's sound great. Then again, I'm a fan of P-90's to begin with. You get a lot of the snot of a humbucker with the articulation of a single coil.

- Newc

Comment

Very cool Tim! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] What's the neck profile like?

Comment

Working...
                              X