Electric 12 String Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric 12 String Tuning

I recently scored a Gibson 12/6 and as I was bringing the strings to pitch, something in the back of my mind kept saying "hey you big dummy, don't you remember reading that standard 12 string tuning puts too much tension on the neck?" So, before proceeding, I hopped on GW's "Internets" and did a little research. Quite a few articles mention tuning down, but they were really not that clear or specific.

For you 12 string owners, what do you recommend and why?
    "POOP"

Re: Electric 12 String Tuning

I've got a Dano 12-string and tune to full pitch. It's a bolt on Korean-made thing that is nearly impossible to fret for long periods, so I truly don't care if it stresses the neck [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Actually I tried doing a mixed tuning on it - 6 in standard and the other 6 in a complimentary open tuning. Didn't find much that worked with anything beyond a couple of Major Chords.

Given the set-in neck joint and probably disproportionately short neck tenon, I'd say tune down a full step and use a capo on the 3rd fret to bring it up to Standard.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Re: Electric 12 String Tuning

If I tune to DGCFAD, wouldn't I capo at the second fret for Standard tuning?
      "POOP"

Comment

Working...
      X