X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I must have one!

http://www.conklinguitars.com/bizarr...9descript.html

Re: I must have one!

I can barely play six. That guitar is like having an extra hand and another set of balls.

Comment

I hear ya! That guitar is way, way crazy!

Comment

Didn't former Jackson player Rusty Cooley have one of these with the fanned frets?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I can barely play six. That guitar is like having an extra hand and another set of balls.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Is too much and looks funky..

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Didn't former Jackson player Rusty Cooley have one of these with the fanned frets?

[/ QUOTE ]
              I thought he had an 8-string.
              Anyway, I think anything over 7 would just confuse the hell out of me! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Anyway, I think anything over 7 would just confuse the hell out of me! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Our tempered system is rather repetitious, as it is quite small (compared to some Eastern systems). If you are comfortable with scales and chords on 6, adding more should present no problems outside of mild physical adaptation issues.

Comment

Indubidably!

Comment

does that fret board twist from the bottom and flatten out or is it just the picture?
                    wild looking thing, I'd love to try it
                    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Our tempered system is rather repetitious, as it is quite small (compared to some Eastern systems). If you are comfortable with scales and chords on 6, adding more should present no problems outside of mild physical adaptation issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...it's just extending the scales...that's all. Sure it would take a little getting used to the feel of it, but expand your mind young Joe!...LOL! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I think his "melt" series is super cool:

Comment

I'd love to have an 8-string, but the problem is that I would want the eighth string to be a high A, rather than having an additional low string, which most 8-stringers seem to do (or they tune down quite a bit). The problem is that no one has ever developed a .06 or .07 string that would tune up to a high A without snapping within a short while. "Maestro" Alex Gregory, a 7-string pioneer, worked on all this stuff back in the '80s, and he ended up going with the low B as an alternative.

Add another string to that 9-string and you've got yourself a Chapman Stick or Warr Guitar, basically.

Comment

Another idea--I've often wondered if it would be possible to add a high A string that was not as long as the other strings--sort of the mirror image of what a 5-string banjo looks like. Theoretically, the shorter string length should reduced the possibility of the string snapping, shouldn't it? You could have the tuner for the that string at the bridge, and the other end of the string would be at the fifth fret, with a widening of the neck at that point to accommodate the ball-end.

Any luthiers know if this possible, or just pure lunacy?

Comment

I'm not a luthier, but build-wise there's not much reason that wouldn't be possible. You would have to put the high string on the bass side of the neck like a banjo, otherwise playing on the other string at or below that fret would be a major pain in the ass.

Comment

Working...
                              X