My New/Old Baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New/Old Baby

I guess my next purchase will be a back brace, but what the hell. The guitar pictured above is a 1996 Cherry Sunburst. My guitar is a rare 1982 Cherry Sunburst. In 1984, Cherry Sunburst became a standard finish.

Finding pictures of "owner" cherry sunburst doublenecks is like locating a chicken with lips. The picture above is from a 1996 concert in Melbourne, Australia.

Anyway, I'm as excited as Dale Jr. winning Talladega, so I too will say shite! More pics when it arrives on Thursday. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    "POOP"

Re: My New/Old Baby

Sweet! I have never seen Ace with anything other than a Les PAul ( and those weird things from his solo career....but we like to forget that) AND I have never seen a doubleneck SG in anything but black, white or red. We definitely need some pics ASAP. Congratulations!

Comment

LOL, I've seen Ace play Explorers, Telecasters, SGs, Epiphones, Ovations, Flying Vs, and some weird ass all aluminum guitar, all while in KISS.

Thanks for the congratulations. Buying a doubleneck never appealed to me because I wasn't impressed with the black or white models. The dark cherry had the whole Jimmy Page vibe and I was afraid if I bought one, I'd start playing sloppy. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

With a cherry sunburst, I can really play sloppy and even wear makeup on occasion. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      "POOP"

Comment

"POOP"

Comment

Great score man. Ace was the reason i started playing guitar way back in 1979. I saw him smoke that Paul, and it was all over. I been trying to track down a cherry EDS 1275 for some time now.

Comment

Thanks Roy! I'd like to offer a little advice and that is to be extremely cautious and use diligence in scoring an EDS. I'm constantly seeing EDS-1275s being offered on ebay dated as 1971, 1974, and 1976. Even though the first custom shop doublenecks surfaced in 1958, production models appeared in 1961. Here's the shipping totals followed by the year.
            (7) 1961
            (6) 1962
            (6) 1963
            (10) 1964
            (5) 1965
            (4) 1966
            (33) 1967
            (0) 1968
            (0) 1969
            (1) 1970
            (0) 1971
            (0) 1972
            (0) 1973
            (0) 1974
            (0) 1975
            (0) 1976
            (0) 1977 (Many sources say zero, a few say production resummed)
            (NA)1978 (Most sources say production resummed.

My sources of information come from George Gruhn and Tom Wheeler. Best of luck in your search.
            "POOP"

Comment

http://photos.yahoo.com/officialnextforums
              "POOP"

Comment

G, the pic won't show for me but I went to NEXT! and saw it. Congrats! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] It's a beauty.
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

wow!
                  you bought the actual guitar in the photo??
                  Now all you need is the make up.
                  [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Honestly, this Yahoo photo account is a royal pain in the ass. Sometimes you can access it, other times no. Sometimes you can rotate pictures, sometimes it distorts them to hell and back.

Thanks for the compliments guys! It's the first 12 string I've owned and I'm truly impressed with the warm, rich, full tone. I have it tuned down one whole step which really adds to the mountain of sound.
                    "POOP"

Comment

a little bit of info on ace's doubleneck: it's mahogany that had to be bleached in order to do a proper cherry sunburst.

congrats on the guitar, and the impending back brace!

sully
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

It's definitly a "sit-down" machine. I'm also having my left arm stretched so that lead work will be more comfortable. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
                        "POOP"

Comment

I was Ace's Tech On The Reunion, That was used for "Rock Bottom" We sent the Guitar Home after the song was taken out of the set. Very Well Built, Tuning was average.

FYI - Ace got 3 Brand New Customs for the Tour,1 was black,2 flame tops with Standard Inlays, Before the Sig came out. Along with the double neck, these were really great guitars. (after a Fret Grind and Level)

Sig. Models: Serial # ACE 001 was dropped on the floor 2 secs after he took it out of the case, Serial ACE 002 was the one he used for the 2nd half of the tour. All Guitars had Duncans, NOT DIMARZIOS . I was pleased.

The Bridge on ACE 002 was Installed wrong, and would not intonate as well as the others.

The Black Rocket Guitar played and sounded the best only next to the OG Cherry we had out as a Spare Spare Spare.

The NYG Light Guitar would never intonate, and the Steve Carr "Weedwacker" Light Guitar actually played and sounded really good.

Any other tech questions will be kindly answered (How to build a smoker..etc.)

Comment

Thanks for all the cool info. I've been a huge fan since about 1974. It was so cool to see KISS live in 1976 and then 20 years later, to be able to take my wife and son to see the greatest show in rock and roll.
                            "POOP"

Comment

Very nice, enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                              X