Left-handed SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left-handed SG

I handled a LH real Gibson SG today at a local pawnshop. It's not old and I am not left- handed. However, left or right, it didn't feel very good. To make a short story long, the neck felt rough; the finish on the body felt rough; it didn't feel balanced and it was too light. It was it excellent condition, but if this is what a newer SG feels like, you can have them. It reminded me of some highschool kid's wood project. I have always wanted an SG but I would way spend the extra bucks to get an older one. They have to be better than this one. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Re: Left-handed SG

I have heard many complaints that SG's are neck heavy. I have never played one, as I find the body shape rather unappealing. The rough finish may have been one of those newer "faded" finishes which I think look kind of crappy up close.

Comment

One of the local stores around here has 2 Gibson SG faded, and an Epiphone faded SG. The Gibsons feel very rough. The edge of the neck pocket where the neck is set in is very VERY sharp. When you're playing on the higher frets, it is not just uncomfortable, it is downright painful. Both of the Gibsons were the same, as if they had not bothered to sand them. The necks were rough too, and could really use a good wetsand. The same goes for the bodies. There are a lot of spots where the edges are left sharp, including the top points of the headstock. By comparison, the Epiphone felt better in every regard. It was sanded properly, the finish was much smoother, and the neck joint didn't gouge my hand up. On top of this, the Epiphone has a bound neck, block inlays, and a headstock inlay. The Gibson has dot inlays, no binding, and a plain flat black headstock with "Gibson" painted on it in gold.

I'm thinking I would have to be an idiot to pay almost double for the Gibson, because it's USA made, and it says Gibson on the headstock.

No thanks Gibson!
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I have recently become a big fan of EPi's stuff. I am waiting to get my hands on some ofthe ELitist LP's-they are supposed to be fantastic guitars and they are just under a grand...you know, half the price of a Gibby! I don't consider myself to be cheap, but I have always been kind of poor. Spending 1800 bucks on an LP standard just isn't in the cards, but 500 for an Epi standard, and 40 bucks for a Duncan HB off ebay is definitely doable!

Comment

I LOVE the faded SG's. I actually bought one!! I think that "faded brown" is much nicer than the "faded cherry". I've played lots and lots of SG's, and I was thinking about getting an Epiphone. I tried out all the Epiphone ones West LA Music had, then just for comparison I tried the Gibson. I was the best playing guitar in that store, I swear to God. I liked it better than the two RR1's, SL3 and DK1 they had in stock!! I put money down on it that day. Now I am going to sell one of my Charvels to help pay to get it out. Have I gone crazy? Maybe. I think the neck felt awesome. I didn't notice any sharp edges, and I DID look. I really like the dot inlays too. I showed my mother the guitar when she came to town, and she thought it was the nicest guitar she's seen that day(I dragged her around with me one day, so she got to see what life as a guitar tech is like, she said she'd never seen so many guitars in her life).

Anyways, I really liked the SG, and it IS made in the USA as opposed to, ahem, China where the Epi's are made.

And I've played probably a dozen SG's in the time since I put money down on that one, including a few Specials, a few Standards(which were my SECOND favorite playing-wise), a 1962 reissue, and a Supreme. Also a vintage one or two. I STILL like the Faded one best.

Comment

I love SGs and you're going to find good ones and then some that are not so good. I currently have an SG Supreme and the neck is as slick as chimp snot. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

If you like the overall look, shop around till you find just the one that suits your needs. Cool guitars!
            "POOP"

Comment

Ace, I totally agree, the faded brown is much nicer than the faded cherry. It looks more "vintage". The faded cherry looks kinda pink. I also agree that, while the two I tried out locally were terrible, I tried one in another store a while back that was much better. The neck was still not as smooth as I like, but the body wasn't as sharp and unfinished feeling. I don't mind the dots, but I preferred when they were available with the crescent moon inlays.

Comment

I actually prefer the "rougher" finished neck feel. Slick necks feel "sticky" to me. I have been known to sand the backs of my necks, not sanding the finish off, but just to roughen it up a bit.

Comment

Hey Ace, I never really noticed before, is that a bud in your avatar?

Comment

Of course!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

How much were they asking for the SG?

joe...
                      www.godwentpunk.com
                      www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

I have a friend there so I got a pretty good price, but in Musician's Fiend they go for $649

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Of course!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

NICE!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

joe...

[/ QUOTE ] Just called the pawnshop and they would take $549 for it. Or so he said. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

joe...

[/ QUOTE ] Just called the pawnshop and they would take $549 for it. Or so he said. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, that's not much of a deal. Those things go for around that neighbourhood all day on Egay.

Comment

Working...
                              X