Tyler Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyler Guitars

I stopped in at a local dealer that I hadn't visited yet and they stock a bunch of James Tyler guitars. They list for well over $3k and are worth every penny of $599. For starters the headstocks are just awful to look at. He does have some nifty body finishes and a good reputation so I avoided looking at the headstock and gave the thing a whirl. I played through a real nice Carr amp. This Tyler sounded incredibly mediocre. It was fairly thin sounding. The guy made a big deal of the bridge humbucker being some renowned expensive thing - I forget the name but it sounded like a thin tinny humbucker with no nuts at all. Playability was poor for me - I found the neck shape was very uncomfortable. The fretwork was fine - not spectacular but more than adequate. I guess in the end this guitar was not for me. It'd be a good guitar "for the money" if it was a helluva lot cheaper.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Re: Tyler Guitars

Tyler guitars are overrated IMO.
    I had about 5 in last 10years including one I custom ordered at their factory in Van Nuys about 10years ago.
    I went to the factory,talked with Jim and ordered one there.
    I also had Dann Huff model around 95 or 6 and one of early ones with Strat headstock.
    I am not sure if it is a problem of set up or construction problem,the guitars played terrible and less sustain.
    The necks moved a lot due to their thin finish on the neck and their Studio Elite series have bad neck joint where necks moved.

IMO, maybe I got the bad ones but all 5?
    If you would spend that much, I recommend you Suhr or Anderson.
    In my book, Suhr guitars are the best.
    I can't wait for my Suhr custom Classic which will arrive anytime soon.

Comment

Wow! Sounds like they ain't too good. Thanks for the tip, if I run across one, I'll be sure to run away!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Wow! Sounds like they ain't too good. Thanks for the tip, if I run across one, I'll be sure to run away!

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, don't run on my account - that's just my opinion of one guitar! There's no getting around the headstocks being ugly though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

If it's ugly, that's like an ugly chick not passing the Dunkin' Dounut's test! (looks good in the bar, get to Dunkin D and looks foul in the bright lights) What do you do? Say "I gotta go" and run away!

Comment

Tyler guitar headtstock needs a paper bag like yours to cover the ugly headstock, Jazzman.
            [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I checked out their website. The headstock is quite horrid!

Comment

They sell like crazy and you cannot find a used one. I'll never understand that. One dealer told me they are very popular with Japanese collectors. I'm not sure why.

Comment

By Jazzman:

"I checked out their website. The headstock is quite horrid!"

I've never heard of them before but, of course, I had to look too. Holy Yuck!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X