Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strathead parts build -- flakes, kahlers, and other stuff, oh my!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks, razor.

I think the PAF Pro is a little too bright. or maybe not too bright, but it doesn't have enough midrange. the guitar sounds fucking badass unplugged. plugged in it still sounds badass, like 90% there, but when I plug in the jackson it's like I'm kinda missing that warm midrange.

so I guess I'm looking for pickup recommendations: like a PAF Pro in output, but with a warmer midrange. the dimarizio PAF 36th looks interesting, but I'm worried it wouldn't be loud enough. in the meantime I'll be looking for anther open-coil USA j-50bc.

ALSO, PSA:

I forgot to mention this after I finished wiring, but the dimarzio "middle" position single-coils are NOT humbucking with the inner coils of their standard humbuckers. so I had to turn around the pickup (no issue here since it's got dual hex head pole pieces) to get it to buck hum in phase. if I go to a humbucker with normal pole pieces I'll probably replace the true velvet with the "neck" version which has the opposite magnet polarity. the more you know™
    Last edited by metalhobo; 12-13-2020, 06:20 PM.

Comment

If you're looking for warmer midrange and a little more output, I'd suggest looking into a DiMarzio Breed. They're discontinued, but you can still find them on ebay and reverb. Plus, DiMarzio will still make them for you in their shop.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        If you're looking for warmer midrange and a little more output, I'd suggest looking into a DiMarzio Breed. They're discontinued, but you can still find them on ebay and reverb. Plus, DiMarzio will still make them for you in their shop.
        man, I had forgotten about the Breed. really good call! I actually ended up putting in an order for a paf 36th on sunday, so we'll see how that goes. if it's not quite there I think I'll definitely try and exercise the exchange policy for the Breed. I'll keep the PAF Pro regardless, as I think it would be perfect in the neck position of my carvin together with the super distortion currently in there.

Comment

Cool. Would love to hear how it all works out. I put a Breed set in my Dean E'Lite/Cadillac last year and love them. The bridge definitely got a lot warmer and sounds great without being too hot.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Wow this thing looks amazing. Now I’m itching for a warmoth build. Thanks allot!

Comment

got the dimarzio paf 36th anniversary a few weeks ago and finally got around to putting it in last night. d'oh, I forgot to order the f-spaced version. whatever, it actually spaces out okay, so no worries.

I can definitely say this filled in that small tonal gap that the paf pro was leaving. warmer mids, and the resonant peak is not quite so piercing, but there's still plenty of treble and "woody" tone. definitely a welcome brother to the j-50bc in my jackson strat. the paf pro will now replace the M-22 in the neck position of my carvin to accompany the '70s super distortion I'd had in the bridge position for a long time.

I'd like to comment that I don't know where dimarzio gets off claiming the paf 36th is not as hot as the paf pro. I even measured the pickup height from the strings with calipers before I replaced it, and tried to match it as well as possible after. I recorded DIs with the paf pro and the 36th, and the 36th is noticeably louder. not by a ton, but noticeable. the only thing I can think of is I had to change strings when I was doing the pickup swap because I broke one while I was slacking the strings.

-----

also, I figured out why I'm getting tuning issues on the g string only: the string is slipping at the string lock. like, if I slack the g string at the machine head with the lock clamped, the rest of the string goes out of tune, too. the other strings don't do this. also, I use the same string set on my jackson and it doesn't do this, either. and I'm clamping very very tight.
              Last edited by metalhobo; 01-08-2021, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Gorgeous. Does the Kahler have a screw so you can turn it into a fixed bridge? I know the 7300 did.
                The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
                  Gorgeous. Does the Kahler have a screw so you can turn it into a fixed bridge? I know the 7300 did.
                  it does! very useful for string changes. I'd wondering what to do with it the rest of the time, as I don't want it to fall out while playing. maybe some blue thread lock.

Comment

Working...
                  X